turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I use our adopted daughter's old name when filing? File was rejected b/c new name didn't match SSN. Updated at SS office, but still getting rejected when refile.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I use our adopted daughter's old name when filing? File was rejected b/c new name didn't match SSN. Updated at SS office, but still getting rejected when refile.

I would use her correct current name and Social Security number, even though that might mean you can’t e-file.  I don’t see how the benefit of maintaining a confusing situation is worth getting your refund 2 weeks faster.

It’s also possible that the IRS might catch the Social Security administration update at some point in the future.  But that’s unpredictable and I would just file by mail now.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, try using her old name.  There is no way to know exactly when the IRS and Social Security files will match up.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would use her correct current name and Social Security number, even though that might mean you can’t e-file.  I don’t see how the benefit of maintaining a confusing situation is worth getting your refund 2 weeks faster.

It’s also possible that the IRS might catch the Social Security administration update at some point in the future.  But that’s unpredictable and I would just file by mail now.

Thanks. So by mailing it in, will that prompt the IRS to go in and check/confirm the updated info we did with the Social Security office?

Not exactly.  As far as I know, the IRS downloads a copy of the social security name and number database and uses it for tax return processing, they don't connect to the live SSA database.  And I don't know how often the IRS downloads new updates.  It's at least several times a year, because e-filing of tax returns for deceased people gets blocked pretty quickly.  

It's just that, in my view, you want the correct name on your tax return.  This year that might mean filing by mail, but by next year they will catch up.  

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies