Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I tick "someone can claim me as dependent" if my mom will be claiming me as dependent other?

I'm not sure if it's new but last year I don't remember there being the ability to claim someone as dependent other. So when I filed my son's tax return I didn't tick the box where they say that someone else is claiming them as a dependent. Then when I filed my tax return, I realized the dependent other category existed so I ticked it and now my returns were rejected. 

So now if I'm going to tick the "dependent other" box on my return do I need to amend my son's to say that "someone can claim me as dependent"?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Should I tick "someone can claim me as dependent" if my mom will be claiming me as dependent other?

Yes. you missed the checkbox.     If he is a dependent check his 1040. By Standard Deduction it should be checked for  Someone can claim:  You as a Dependent.

You will have to mail in your return this year.  You don't have to wait for his amended return to be processed.  

He will have to amend his return to say he can be claimed on someone else's return. It will take 8-12 weeks to process an amended return if not longer. In the meantime you will probably each get a letter from the IRS to determine who is able to claim him.

How to Amend the current year
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

Ok so if I am claiming him as "dependent other", he needs to check the box that says "someone can claim me as a dependent? Just to be clear, Im not claiming him on the child tax credit, only the "credit for other dependents."

Yes.  It doesn't matter what kind of dependent you are claiming.  Any dependent.   A ssn can not be used as both a primary independent tax return and as a dependent ssn on someone else's return.   Does that make sense?  

Once a ssn has been entered into the IRS as a independent ssn you can not  efile it again.  

Yes that makes sense. Thanks, I appreciate it! I originally e-filed my son's return and I just e-filed the amendment too. How quickly will they be accepted now by Fed and state? My main concern now is my originally rejected return due to me claiming him as a dependent other and him not having said he was a dependent. Now that I've e-filed his amendment should I just be able to re e-file since I'm not actually changing anything?

Huh?  No you have to print and mail your return, even if his return was amended.  So you don't have to wait to mail  yours.  

Ok but I can't efile it? I'm just checking because you originally said I'd have to mail his amended return in because I wouldn't be able to efile it. But I just did efile it, so I'm a bit confused.

No I don't  think I said that.  Read my posts again.  I just said he will have to amend his return.  I didn't say that he had to mail it.  You have to mail your return.  

Got it you're right. So will TurboTax not allow me to efile my return again or will the IRS just reject it again?

Turbo Tax might let you submit it again but the IRS will reject it.  

Ok thanks. Im now trying to select mail in and it's not letting me mail in my NY state one. Saying it's not allowed. Is that correct?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you paper file federal you will have to paper file state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies