Solved: Should I restore prior years software (drive crashed) prior to installing TT 2018 in order for my 2017 info to import into 2018? My TT folder shows "TaxFile2017" type

Should I restore prior years software (drive crashed) prior to installing TT 2018 in order for my 2017 info to import into 2018? My TT folder shows "TaxFile2017" type

I have the CD's, however I'm not comfortable re-installing without some advise, as I don't want to alter my returns from previous years.  A similar situation occurred to me a few years ago and my previous year return did not import into the current year installation.  I don't recall exact circumstances, so there may have been different circumstances back then.  From what I can see, my TurboTax File shows all my returns with the "type" of file indicating "TaxFile20XX".  I much appreciate any help/advise you can provide.

The software program does not need to be installed on your computer to transfer 2017 info from a .tax2017 file into your 2018 tax return when you first begin the return. The tax file is totally separate from the program. 

Thank you Texas Roger!  Logic leaned that way, I just wanted to double check. Thanks again...Ohio Roger here!

I am experiencing a glitch, I think. I have used Turbo Tax Desktop software for at least 8 years in a row. I was reviewing 2017's return and realized that it did NOT import 2016's data. Is there a way to perform the import WITHOUT starting the 2017 return over again? I tried closing out of everything and restarting the software; no luck.

Sorry ... but the ONLY way to transfer the prior year info is at the very beginning of the return ... so in the downloaded version you need to start a new tax file.  Or you can skip the import and simply enter any pertinent info as needed.