turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I restore prior years software (drive crashed) prior to installing TT 2018 in order for my 2017 info to import into 2018? My TT folder shows "TaxFile2017" type

I have the CD's, however I'm not comfortable re-installing without some advise, as I don't want to alter my returns from previous years.  A similar situation occurred to me a few years ago and my previous year return did not import into the current year installation.  I don't recall exact circumstances, so there may have been different circumstances back then.  From what I can see, my TurboTax File shows all my returns with the "type" of file indicating "TaxFile20XX".  I much appreciate any help/advise you can provide.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I restore prior years software (drive crashed) prior to installing TT 2018 in order for my 2017 info to import into 2018? My TT folder shows "TaxFile2017" type

The software program does not need to be installed on your computer to transfer 2017 info from a .tax2017 file into your 2018 tax return when you first begin the return. The tax file is totally separate from the program. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The software program does not need to be installed on your computer to transfer 2017 info from a .tax2017 file into your 2018 tax return when you first begin the return. The tax file is totally separate from the program. 

Thank you Texas Roger!  Logic leaned that way, I just wanted to double check. Thanks again...Ohio Roger here!

I am experiencing a glitch, I think. I have used Turbo Tax Desktop software for at least 8 years in a row. I was reviewing 2017's return and realized that it did NOT import 2016's data. Is there a way to perform the import WITHOUT starting the 2017 return over again? I tried closing out of everything and restarting the software; no luck.

Sorry ... but the ONLY way to transfer the prior year info is at the very beginning of the return ... so in the downloaded version you need to start a new tax file.  Or you can skip the import and simply enter any pertinent info as needed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies