Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

merril_r

Should I report fraud if if I get a message back that my federal return was already filed, but I didn't do it?

Tried to transmit my federal return using file and the message said one was already sent with my social is this fraud or an error?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Should I report fraud if if I get a message back that my federal return was already filed, but I didn't do it?

Yes, possible fraud. Check with spouse and family to make sure nobody filed for you.

• IRS Fraud Unit: (800) 908-4490
  • We would also appreciate a call.  You can fill this form out for someone to call you. 
  • State police should be notified.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
reganc

My son got the same message. His 2019 return was filed late about 2 mo ago on paper. Then recently tried to file 2020 return electronically and this message popped up. Could turbo tax software get confused when several years returns are being submitted within a month or two of each other? They were with the perspective year software of course, but I wonder if there is a common filing database that looked at timing of transmission rather than year of the return?

No that's not the reason.   

If it thinks another return has been been filed then you have to print and mail your return and let the IRS sort it out.  Did you maybe sign up at the IRS to get the Stimulus payment?  If a ssn on your return has been used on another return it could be just a mistake and someone else accidentally typed the wrong ssn on their return.  Or if he is your dependent did he check the box that says he can be claimed on someone else's return?

How to mail a return from the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies