Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nsn1983

Should I have to send my W2 form to the California tax return while filing my tax by mail?? I have already printed the required documents

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
LeeM

Should I have to send my W2 form to the California tax return while filing my tax by mail?? I have already printed the required documents

Yes, you should attached all the Form(s) W-2 and W-2G you received to the lower front of your tax return. Also, attach any Forms(s) 1099, 592-B, and 593 showing California income tax withheld.

You can also find specific instructions on assembling and mailing your return on page 11 of the California 540 Booklet link pasted below:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2015/15_540ins.pdf

turbotax instruction sheet now says Do not attach any Form(s) W-2. But do attach all other forms mentioned above ^
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

If Calif Schedule W-2 printed out then you should not attach any W-2s.

Thanks for clarifying that. My CA Sched W-2 did print, thus the instructions to not attach my W-2 copy.

what about 1099-R and 1099-G?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Anything (other than a W-2 as above) that has Calif withholding on it should be attached. If there is no Calif withholding on a 1099 then do the FTB a favor and don't include it.
Hitansu

Mine calif Schedule W2 is filled and printed out. But this caution statement is confusing. "Caution: If this form is  filled out, do not send your Form(s) W-2 to the Franchise Tax Board. If your Form(s) W-2 are from multiple states, attach copies showing California tax withheld to this schedule." Not clear whether I should attach the W2 along with calif Schedule W2 or not?
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

If the W-2 has only Calif withholding on it then do NOT attach it. Otherwise (there's Arizona withholding on it <or whatever state other than Calif> attach it.

Sorry, what is CA schedule W2?

OK. It’s actually a form called “California Schedule”, which contains W2 data. In the TurboTax form list, it’s called “Schedule CA”.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies