turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I get a refund on local city tax if I have not worked within city limits since pandemic started?

My employer will not allow a work location change. I have been paying taxes to the city of Cincinnati, while working from home in Indiana since 2/20/2020.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Should I get a refund on local city tax if I have not worked within city limits since pandemic started?

You would have to file an Individual tax return for the City of Cincinnati to get a refund of the taxes you paid that were not due. Here is a link to the form:

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/finance/income-taxes/2020-tax-forms/2020-individual-tax-return/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you Thomas. If you have time, please see the blurb on the City of Cincinnati's website: https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/finance/income-taxes/ 

Since I cannot take a refund from Cincinnati, could I get a tax break from the State of Indiana or on my Fed return?

Refunds for days worked at home during the Covid-19 Emergency

Under Ohio House Bill 197, during the Covid-19 Health Emergency employers were expected to withhold Cincinnati tax for employees working from home rather than their normal work location within Cincinnati, regardless of the location of their home. This would be for the duration of the health emergency plus 30 days. Therefore, there is no refund opportunity when filing a tax return for 2020 if you are working at home due to Covid-19.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The State of Indiana will give credit for taxes paid to another state. The credit is based on Indiana's tax rate. This is done on the Indiana State return. 

There is no "tax break" on the federal return other than the opportunity to itemize and claim all state income taxes paid.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies