turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

blackbird

Should I do a fresh ITIN application this year if last year's application got rejected?

I have filed an ITIN application for my wife in January 2017 along with that year's federal tax return. However, the ITIN application got rejected because of an error on the ITIN application made by my CPA. My refund amount was adjusted by excluding my spouse's exemption. Do I need to file another fresh ITIN application this year along with this year's federal return or should I send in corrected ITIN application with a copy of last year's federal tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Should I do a fresh ITIN application this year if last year's application got rejected?

If the ITIN process was never completed by responding to the IRS denial with the corrected information, then you should correct the application and return it to them.  My suggestion is to file it with this year's return following the steps below, then complete an amended return for 2016 once the ITIN is received.  

• Note:  The return for last year will need to be amended after the ITIN is actually received.  

Enter "Applied For" in the social security number slot under the My Info tab (TurboTax online version), or Personal Info tab (TurboTax desktop version)  if that doesn't allow you to proceed to file by mail try the SSNs shown below. If you use numbers, be sure to white them out after print and before mailing your return.

Prepare a Form W7, for each person who needs an ITIN, then include it with the required documentation with your return.  File the return to this address.

Internal Revenue Service . ITIN Operation . PO Box 149342 . Austin TX 78714-9342

FYI, this applies to the current tax year, 2017. Follow these steps to prepare your return for mailing.

1. Complete Form W-7 - IRS.gov (IRS - W7 Instructions (You can use your form again with the corrections)
  2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 in place of a Social Security Number.
  3. Print the tax returns and cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.
  4. Write "Applying for ITIN; Application attached" next to the SSN field.
  5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required by the Form W-7 (Alternatively, you may choose to take all this information in-person to a local IRS office for processing.)  
  6. If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If the ITIN process was never completed by responding to the IRS denial with the corrected information, then you should correct the application and return it to them.  My suggestion is to file it with this year's return following the steps below, then complete an amended return for 2016 once the ITIN is received.  

• Note:  The return for last year will need to be amended after the ITIN is actually received.  

Enter "Applied For" in the social security number slot under the My Info tab (TurboTax online version), or Personal Info tab (TurboTax desktop version)  if that doesn't allow you to proceed to file by mail try the SSNs shown below. If you use numbers, be sure to white them out after print and before mailing your return.

Prepare a Form W7, for each person who needs an ITIN, then include it with the required documentation with your return.  File the return to this address.

Internal Revenue Service . ITIN Operation . PO Box 149342 . Austin TX 78714-9342

FYI, this applies to the current tax year, 2017. Follow these steps to prepare your return for mailing.

1. Complete Form W-7 - IRS.gov (IRS - W7 Instructions (You can use your form again with the corrections)
  2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 in place of a Social Security Number.
  3. Print the tax returns and cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.
  4. Write "Applying for ITIN; Application attached" next to the SSN field.
  5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required by the Form W-7 (Alternatively, you may choose to take all this information in-person to a local IRS office for processing.)  
  6. If you need to file a state tax return: Mail the signed state return and a copy of Form W-7 to your state's regular filing address. 

Hello, I had the same thing. I applied for my husband's w-7 together with my 2019 return on Feb 2020 as married filing jointly. Due to covid, received the rejection notice (dated march 30, 2020) on July 15, 2020. There was a missing information on the W-7. The rejection notice told me to complete a new W-7 form and include only a "copy" of the tax return. IRS has already processed that return though and the refund was adjusted to the "single" status filing rate. Instead of reapplying with the old tax return and waiting for the itin assignment before filing an amended return, can I just submit the W-7 reapplication with an amended tax return so that when ITIN is assigned, it will automatically be processed by IRS using that new ITIN? So as to save the time of waiting the ITIN assignment letter and only submitting an amended return at that time. Appreciate your help on this one, thanks.

How did you end up resolving this?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies