turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Selling a primary residence in less than 2 years. Will I have to pay cap gains? What is the base profit is calculated off? Sale amount? Original Mortgage? Amount owed?

House was listed ~600. Downpayment put mortgage down to ~500. Amount owed currently is ~450. Sale of current house will be ~635. Married filing jointly. Which amount is the profit calculated off of?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Selling a primary residence in less than 2 years. Will I have to pay cap gains? What is the base profit is calculated off? Sale amount? Original Mortgage? Amount owed?

The gain will be based off your basis. 

The basis will be the cost (purchase price), improvements, and selling costs. 

How much you borrowed or put down is irrelevant. 

Thank you for the response. So, just to clarify, the profit 'gain' will be based off the listing/ agreed upon sale amount of the home, in this case ~$600? The basis will not be taken from the finalized sale amount of the home after we put the downpayment down? If this is the case, our profit will be in the neighborhood of 35k. We have been in this house for just a few months shy of the two year requirement and we file married jointly. With such a small profit, will we have to pay long term cap gains?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies