Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dk82
Level 3

Self-employed health insurance deduction calculcated incorrectly with full PTC repayment

The self-employed health insurance deduction is calculated incorrectly in TurboTax Online when there is a full repayment of the premium tax credit.

My 8962 Line 11 correctly lists an annual enrollment premium (a) of $5233 and annual advance payment of PTC (f) of $4972. Because my AGI >400% of the FPL, I must repay the full PTC so 8962 Line 29 (and 1040 Schedule 2 Line 2) is the full repayment obligation of $4972.

However, my 1040 Schedule 1 Line 17 has a self-employed health insurance deduction of just $1610. I should be able to deduct both the premiums paid during the year ($260) plus the repayment obligation ($4972), so the deduction should equal the full enrollment premium of $5233.

There was a TurboTax error widely reported here in January that was causing my repayment limitation to be capped at $1350. This has since been resolved but appears to still be impacting the self-employed health insurance deduction. In my case, I assume the $1610 is the sum of my premium payment during the year ($5233 - $4972 = $260 w/ rounding) plus the erroneous repayment cap ($1350) rather than the actual repayment ($4972). The result is my deduction is $1610 instead of $5233. Is there a fix for this issue?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Self-employed health insurance deduction calculcated incorrectly with full PTC repayment

How much is your Net Profit on Schedule C?  If your health ins exceeds your net self-employment income it gets split. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

And I think it's the Net Profit minus 1/2 the self employment tax.  

dk82
Level 3

My insurance premium is less than net profit. Schedule C Line 31 (net profit) is $12,059.

dk82
Level 3

I found a workaround by unchecking the "I'm self-employed" box in the 1095 section, then manually entering the full $5233 in the self employment expenses section. Still, this is a rather significant error that will cause many to unknowingly overpay.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies