turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amrit46
Returning Member

Seems that import from PDF is not working

based on the help link

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/transfer-last-year-s-return-to-turbotax-fo...

which says you can import a pdf of 1040 which brings over 100 values including deductibles and carryovers.

The import is not working all it brings over is the personal information and income.  This PDF was generated last year by my CPA using Drake Tax.

So I tried to import from a PDF generated by TurboTax desktop from 2017, it too fails to bring in deductibles carryovers and schedule E.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click here for the instructions for importing a PDF file for 2018 that was created using TurboTax, TaxACT or H&R Block. Please note, the PDF must be an original PDF and not a scanned copy. It also must be the 2018 return from either TurboTax, H&R Block, or TaxACT. I do not see Drake Tax as a supported software. If you prefer to speak with an agent, please click here to get in contact with customer care.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amrit46
Returning Member

I saw that link, thanks.  Even if I try an older year TurboTax software it fails to load a PDF generated by TurboTax

I.E TT 2017 fails to import a PDF generated by TT 2016.  The video at https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/brand/video-how-we-make-it-easy-to-transfer-last-years-info/L6d... states a CPA generated PDF can be loaded.

Same problem. 

2018 original pdf generated by TurboTax H&B 2018.
Importing process works as expected, but nothing more than our names/addresses/career info carried over.

--

03/11/20

Also - speaking to an agent is next to impossible. I have been trying to get my tax return started since Sunday and FOUR DAYS LATER still unable to start.

No chat support. Phone support insists on giving a callback that never happens. Tonight I was on hold w/a support ticket number and after 30 minutes the call dropped, and the support ticket number died..generated a new one... now back to the waiting for a call back. Phone in hand...waiting w/bated breath. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

You can import last year's PDF into the 2019 TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, if your 2018 PDF is a 1040 return generated through TurboTax, H&R Block, or TaxACT software. Please see the link provided below for more information on importing last year's PDF:

Can I transfer last year's PDF into the 2019 TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@pixelrogue1  If you used the 2018 Home & Business program you should have the data file ending in .tax2018.  That's what you really need to transfer into 2019.  Did you lose it or have a different computer?  Make any backups?  Search for all files ending in .tax2018 and check the Recycle Bin.  Have Windows 10?  Check the One Drive folder.

PDF import is but a joke - as it refuses to import any calculated fields. Maybe good for a 1040WZ, but bottoms out after that. 

If the TT 2018 file were available this thread would not exist. 2017 TT file is available, have a TT 2018 pdf . Also have a early iteration of the 2018 TT file, but unable to get the numbers to match the 2018 return.
No way to just enter numbers it seems, as there are calculations THAT, according to TT, can only be calculated by the app.

I spent 20 minutes waiting for my old computer to boot up so I could copy last year's PDF, I uploaded it like it asked and it said it was successful..and then it didn't 'transfer' over a single thing, not even our social security numbers. I think it's a joke or some weird data collection opportunity. 

The pdf import only brings over personal information and the previous year's AGI.  All other information from the previous year will heed to be entered manually.  To bring over all of the previous year's information you would need a TurboTax tax file.

How to Transfer Last Year's Return

FritzVold

HRBlock pdf tax file failed to be imported by turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies