Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Second Stimulus, Turbo Tax and Year Based on

I am concerned Turbo Tax is handling this scenario for me correctly...got my first stimulus check for $2400 and I am sure it was based on 2018 tax filing.  I then filed my taxes in 2019.  Then no second stimulus...my guess is because my income for 2019 was too high?  (I did receive a very large bonus in 2019). 

My question is Turbo Tax asked if I got the $1200 second round and I said no, it then deducts it from what I owe.  Is that correct?  Would both stimulus payments be based on 2018 filing?  

I don't want to hear from the IRS that I owe $1200 more with a penalty.

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The bottom of the page has blue type which asks, " What if I am still waiting on a stimulus payment?" If you click it, you will see the following:

It's OK, just enter what you've already received. IF you're owed any additional stimulus funds from the first round of payments, you'll get this as a credit on this return.

If you're waiting for the 2nd stimulus payment, we recommend holding off on completing this section until after mid-January in case your payment's in the mail.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The bottom of the page has blue type which asks, " What if I am still waiting on a stimulus payment?" If you click it, you will see the following:

It's OK, just enter what you've already received. IF you're owed any additional stimulus funds from the first round of payments, you'll get this as a credit on this return.

If you're waiting for the 2nd stimulus payment, we recommend holding off on completing this section until after mid-January in case your payment's in the mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies