dwightmlol

second amended return for same year --- 1040X

I have e-filled my first amend tax form 1040x for tax year 2020 and the current status is received. Now I would like to file another amend tax return for 2020, should I wait the first one being processed before I sent it out? 

JotikaT2

Yes, you should wait until it is processed before filing another amended return.

dwightmlol

My concern is my first one is received on Feb 26 and no update any more. Was wondering if I send the second one out before the first is processed, what is the result? Are they going to reject my second one? 

DawnC

It won't be rejected, but you are going to further delay the processing of your return.   You should not file another amendment until the first amendment is FULLY processed.   Amended returns take at least 16 weeks to process, so you are still within normal processing times.  

You have 3 years from the date you filed your return or 2 years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment.   There is no reason to send it in before the original gets processed.  

Check the status of your Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, for this year and up to three prior years.

1. When to check...

• Your amended return will take up to 3 weeks after you mailed it to show up on our system.
  • Processing it can take up to 16 weeks.

2. What you need...

• Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Zip Code  

3. How to find my...

Amended Return Status