Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule C part III question

On both turbo tax and free tax USA I am noticing the same thing. This is my first time filing taxes, and I started my business in 2022 as an SMLLC. I sold on Etsy and Smugmug- a photo-selling platform. I am using the cash method, and in part II, line 22, I have my supply cost listed along with  De Minimis Safe Harbor Election.  I made about $5800 this year with my business. After filling everything out, my Part III Cost of Goods Sold is blank. Do I not need to worry about listing anything, such as inventory or Materials and supplies?

Thank you for the help again.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

you can deduct cost of goods sold only against those items actually sold.

supplies  are a separate thing.

Understood, but I do not have an inventory from last year, and I currently do not have an inventory now. The photo prints are sold online through a lab, I never have expenses right off for the prints, and the calendars through Etsy all sold before the end of 2022. I am kind of confused about that part and if I need to fill any of those lines in

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

It sounds like you may carry an inventory of calendars throughout the year, but you do not directly have an inventory of the photo prints that you sell online because they are produced elsewhere.  

If you did carry an inventory of calendars at any time during 2022, then you can complete the section about inventory and cost of goods sold.  You will be asked about starting and ending inventory, which can be zero for both amounts.  There will also be a place to report the cost of inventory items that you purchased or materials that you used to produce your inventory.  Those amounts will determine your cost of goods sold.  Be sure that you do not duplicate the reporting of the cost of supplies to produce your inventory in the general expenses section under 'supplies'.  

As long as your income does not grow exponentially, simply reporting the cost of your supplies and materials used to create your products in the general expenses section of Schedule C is acceptable instead of tracking inventory and entering the details in that section.  

Take a look at the following TurboTax help article for more information:

Do I need to report inventory?

@ZachV 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, thank you, this really helps me understand the process and how it works. You are correct about the calendars, I ordered the calendars from a supplier in 2022, and the calendars arrived and were immediately ready for resale. I listed them on Etsy and sold and shipped all of them before the end of 2022. So as you said, since my income won't be growing exponentially, for now, I will just claim them under Part 2 line 22 supplies.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies