Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EdNay2458
Returning Member

Schedule C - line 13 -- Depreciation and section 179 expense deduction. Question about Form 4562 and Maryland's 500DM

Help please! A little background first.  My tax preparer claimed the depreciation deduction for the first time in 2018 on my Schedule C line 13 and completed Form 4562 with a recovery period of 5 years.  Unfortunately he didn't claim the deduction in 2019 so now I'm amending my 2019 1040 return to claim it on Schedule C.  

First question, do I need to file form 4562 again?  Secondly, do I also need to file Maryland's form 500DM?

If so it's unclear to me specifically what values I'm to enter for the 500DM form.

Thanks for your response.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Schedule C - line 13 -- Depreciation and section 179 expense deduction. Question about Form 4562 and Maryland's 500DM

It depends.  Form 4562 is required to be filed in any year when a new asset is placed in service for business use. If you do not have any new assets in 2019, then a Form 4562 is not required to be filed with your original or amended tax return for 2019.  The deprecation amount calculated would simply continue to carry to your Schedule C each year.

Based on my review of the Maryland (MD) 500DM form, and your statement above about using a recovery period of 5 years, without the use of federal options for special bonus depreciation or section 179. If this is true then Form 500DM is not required to be used.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
EdNay2458
Returning Member

Thank you so much.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies