Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Phil_g
Returning Member

Sate tax refund.

Each year I receive a state refund but owe on fed taxes. Where can I find out why I receive the state refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenL4
Employee Tax Expert

Sate tax refund.

Hi, Phil. I am happy to help you with that.  

The reason you receive a state refund usually comes down to over withholding of state taxes (although you could have claimed a refundable credit you weren't aware of).

States with income tax have their own versions of the Federal Form W-4.  For example, California has a form DE-4 which you can see here .  You can generally find your state's W-4 form equivalent at that state's Department of Revenue (DOR).  Here is a link to a page that will help you find your state's DOR quickly.  That said, it can be sometimes be easier to search in a browser the name of the state and "W-4."  While that is likely not going to be the correct state form name, google will generally figure it out for you.  For example, I searched "California Form W-4" and got a search link returned to go right to that CA DE-4 form!

My general advice is that click on a link that takes you to the state form rather than a company trying to get your business. For example, in this case I clicked on the link that started like this "https://edd.ca.gov/."  Agency names can be confusing, so looking for something that ends in .gov can be helpful.  The state forms will come with instructions that help you fill them out in to get your withholding closer to the requirements.

Getting your withholding updated using the state version of the Fed Form W-4 will usually clear things up for you. However, if it doesn't and you have TurboTax Live, an expert can usually help you deep dive into your personal circumstances to answer any remaining questions!

Thanks for your question!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies