turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dsweath

Same TT account as last year, but my Spouse AGI was rejected. Filed jointly and no amendments were made. Why is it being rejected? The amount matches the transcript!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Same TT account as last year, but my Spouse AGI was rejected. Filed jointly and no amendments were made. Why is it being rejected? The amount matches the transcript!

Solved according to user in above comments.  TurboTax Support suggested trying $0 as the spouse AGI following the initial rejection, and user reports it was successful.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

If you filed a joint 2017 return the AGI is the same for each of you.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dsweath

Understood!  And my husbands was accepted... it makes no sense!

"my husband's was accepted.."  Are you filing separate returns for 2018 instead of filing jointly again?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dsweath

no - still filing jointly - which is why I don't understand why it is being rejected... the information should be exactly the same

And you are entering it all on the SAME tax return?

Trying to make sense of "my husband's was accepted..."

Maybe user means the rejected notice only mentions the spouse AGI?   Perhaps user should post the actual rejection message.
dsweath

Correct - we filed jointly, as last year, but the error is only coming back that the Spouse information is wrong:  IND-032-04 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

That is odd.   For some reason the IRS doesn't think the 2017 AGI you entered for Spouse is what is in their database.   You say you've already check the figure on a "transcript", so I presume that means you acquired an official IRS transcript.   Since it should be the same figure used for the primary taxpayer, then the only thing I can think of is to be sure it was typed in the box correctly without a typo such as transposed numbers, etc.    I'd highlight the field then click "delete" to remove the data completely, and re-enter it making sure there is no space after it.

What month did you file the return last year?  Did you file it prior to November 2018?
dsweath

I filed in April 2018 and I thought about the typo thing as well, which is why I resubmitted it a second time with the same number... I even tried calling Turbo Tax, because the number is actually automatically pulled from the 2017 return as I also filed that through TT...but you have to pay for Live to talk to someone... hence the reason I'm looking for some help here!  I know I can send it in the mail, but I live overseas and my return is a book... so I would really rather e-file!

I guess another thing to double-check for the sake of completeness would be to check to be sure the Spouse SSN is entered correctly.  If the SSN has a typo, that could cause a mismatch with AGI.

You don't have to pay for TurboTax Support.  You appear to be using Self-Employed which is a paid product.   The Live feature is something altogether different, which does require a paid upgrade since that feature has live help from a CPA/EA tax expert and review of the return.  But anyone using a paid product gets free routine phone support--just not a live CPA/EA.
Are you able to phone them from overseas?   

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax phone number?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263</a>

Keep watching the thread and see if anyone else has any suggestions.  You have plenty of time before the filing deadline.
dsweath

Thank you for the advice and the new phone number - I had tried calling the general line before and it said I had to have the Live help... I've now spoken to someone and they suggested putting in $0 as it is a new part of the system and it may have doubled the amount... we'll see!

Good.  Let us know what happens, since it may help someone else.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies