turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sheetss
Returning Member

Sale of property

Our son and his family have been living in a townhouse my husband and I have owned since 2007.  They bought a home this year and moved, so we sold the townhouse.  It was never a rental property, and we never took any type of depreciation or expenses on it.  When I file our taxes this year how do I classify the property since it wasn't a rental.  Do I classify it as the sale of a "second home"?  Also where can I find a list of items that I can deduct from the sale price of the townhouse to help offset capital gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pmurphy3
Expert Alumni

Sale of property

Since it was never a rental property, just list as the sale of a property.   Hopefully, you did deduct the real estate taxes and mortgage interest (if any) on your Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.

For a list of items that can be used as expenses in the sale of a second home (non-rental) go here:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/when-home-sellers-can-reduce-capital-gains-tax-using-expense...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MariaDG1
Employee Tax Expert

Sale of property

Hello Sheetss! Thanks for participating in our event today.  Excellent question.  Yes, this would be considered sale of a second home.  Most likely you will pay capital gains tax on the proceeds from the sale.  This could be 0, 15, 0r 20% depending on your tax bracket.  Then only exception would be if you had lived in the home for 2 of the past 5 years.  I'm not sure how long your son has been there, but if for example, he had been there 3 years and you lived in it the previous 2, as of the date of sale, then you could probably qualify to exclude the gain.  As far as reducing/limiting the gain, there are many potential expenses you could deduct to calculate the actual amount of gain realized.  These could be advertising, appraisals, attorney fees, document fees, closing fees, notary fees, points paid by the seller, real estate broker's commission, recording fees, title search fees, transfer or stamp taxes etc.  Entering your home sale in Turbotax should be simple.  Best of luck. Here are the steps:

The sale of a second home is entered in the Investment section.  You will need the Premier edition to report the sale. To enter an investment sale other than from a brokerage account (1099-B), follow the steps below.

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Investment Income
  • On Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other, click the start or update button

Or enter investment sales in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to investment sales

On the next screen, click Yes

On the next screen, click No

On the next screen, choose Second Home and continue with the section until it completes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies