• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tucbeth
Returning Member

Sale and purchase of primary homes in a 9 month period. What capital gains implications, if any, would I need to be concerned with?

2 Replies
Destiny_Y_JD
Employee Tax Expert

Sale and purchase of primary homes in a 9 month period. What capital gains implications, if any, would I need to be concerned with?

So for most people, the magic two year mark really is just that it makes them eligible for an exception to capital gains if the house is their primary residence. Therefore, these taxpayers avoid (a big chunk of) capital gains when selling a home, since sellers can write off up to $250,000 in capital gains tax (or $500,000 for couples), so long as they've lived in their home for two years or more. But if you're selling before then, you'll be required to pay capital gains tax.

Your capital gains tax rate can be 0%, 15% or 20% depending on your income and your tax filing status. For example, let’s say you bought your home for $150,000 and you sold it for $180,000. Your profit, $30,000 (the difference between the two selling prices), is your capital gain and it’s subject to the tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mike9241
Level 15

it is important to know why you are selling. under certain conditions, a partial exclusion might be available if the PRIMARY reason for the sale is any of the following:

1) change in place of employment or

2) health or

3) unforeseen circumstances

each reason has its own rules to qualify. if you think you qualify under any of the above post back in this thread so that rules can be provided.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v