RSU brokerage transfer reporting 1099-B

yatoshura

RSU brokerage transfer reporting 1099-B

My employer changed the RSU brokerage from Morgan Stanley to Fidelity in 2020. Some of my old vested shares were transfer from Morgan Stanley to Fidelity. I believe the shares were first sold in the old brokerage and brought back in the new brokerage during the transfer process.

I did not trigger these sells and buys. Currently these shares are still not sold in my new brokerage account after the transfer was completed.

Do I need to report these brokerage transfer sells and buys in my 2020 tax return? 

If so, would it be similar to reporting another 1099-B? 

Thanks.

NCperson

RSU brokerage transfer reporting 1099-B

if these are still RSUs (and therefore not vested), they are technically not owned by you so there is no taxable income. 

you would have received a 1099-B if there was reporting required, 

yatoshura

RSU brokerage transfer reporting 1099-B

Suppose 10 shares were vested in Morgan Stanley and they were automatically transfer to Fidelity. If they were sold in the old brokerage and the same quantity were then brought again in the new brokerage, would this type of transfer transaction be taxable in anyway?