Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting airdrop on 1099-Misc without triggering Business tax

I found a way to report airdrop income on a 1099-Misc without triggering Business Income.  I think it gives the right result by not following TT's instructions. Took 3 steps: 1) Enter 1099-Misc income and state it's not a business, but TT still treats it as business, so - 2) Go to Business Income and delete the entry that TT made automatically. Then - 3) Go to Less common income > Miscellaneous Income > Other reportable income, and report the airdrop, even though TT says to NOT show income reported on a 1099-Misc. The result on the tax return - the Income is shown on Schedule 1, line 8z as "Other income from Box 3 of 1099-Misc". I think this is the correct reporting for this passive income. I pay ordinary income tax but not the 15% business tax. My question - I had to override TT's instruction to not report 1099-Misc income in the "less common" section. On Schedule 1 Line 8z the income is referred to as 1099-Misc income.  Can anyone verify that the result is correct, or should I be concerned about red flags with the 1099-Misc description shown in Schedule 1?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Your process is brilliant, and I could not have given better directions.  Although a 1099-MISC is not specifically included in the Less Common Income drop down.  It is not excluded.  For an airdrop, you posted it perfectly.  Well done!

@johnp22 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Your process is brilliant, and I could not have given better directions.  Although a 1099-MISC is not specifically included in the Less Common Income drop down.  It is not excluded.  For an airdrop, you posted it perfectly.  Well done!

@johnp22 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies