Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wrjacct

I received a "Notice of Matured Endowment Payment" from MetLife in February of 2017, but no 1099-R. How do I report the proceeds? The policy matured at age 65.

There were four "Amounts Payable" lines:

Amount of Endowment    $1000.00

Paid-up Additions            $3440.64

Current Dividend              $22.76

Terminal Dividend             $40.00

for a total of $4503.40.  I assume I have to report this as income somehow.  Can you tell me how to go about doing that?

[attached PII removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I received a "Notice of Matured Endowment Payment" from MetLife in February of 2017, but no 1099-R. How do I report the proceeds? The policy matured at age 65.

Report your Matured Endowment Payment under Other Reportable Income as follows:

Go to Federal, then Wages and Income.  From there, choose Less Common Income.  Once in this section, choose Miscellaneous Income and then Other Reportable Income.

On the next page, you will enter the description of the income, Matured Endowment Payment.

Next, you need to enter the amount that is taxable, $62.76.  (See below for further explanation)

According to IRS Publication 554, " Endowment proceeds paid in a lump sum to you at maturity are taxable only if the proceeds are more than the cost of the policy. To determine your cost, subtract from the total premiums (or other consideration) paid for the contract any amount that you previously received under the contract and excluded from your income. Include in your income the part of the lump-sum payment that is more than your cost. 

Per the information you provided above, if the the cost of your contract was $1,000, plus you had paid-up additions of $3,440.64, and the lump-sum payment was $4,503.40, then the difference ($62.76) would be taxable income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LisaBr

Report your Matured Endowment Payment under Other Reportable Income as follows:

Go to Federal, then Wages and Income.  From there, choose Less Common Income.  Once in this section, choose Miscellaneous Income and then Other Reportable Income.

On the next page, you will enter the description of the income, Matured Endowment Payment.

Next, you need to enter the amount that is taxable, $62.76.  (See below for further explanation)

According to IRS Publication 554, " Endowment proceeds paid in a lump sum to you at maturity are taxable only if the proceeds are more than the cost of the policy. To determine your cost, subtract from the total premiums (or other consideration) paid for the contract any amount that you previously received under the contract and excluded from your income. Include in your income the part of the lump-sum payment that is more than your cost. 

Per the information you provided above, if the the cost of your contract was $1,000, plus you had paid-up additions of $3,440.64, and the lump-sum payment was $4,503.40, then the difference ($62.76) would be taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies