turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reopen and review 2020 tax return

I was audited for the tax year of 2020 and IRS wanted proof of my dependence and my earned income credit so I sent him the paperwork I thought was adequate only to hear back from the IRS a couple months later stating they never received the proper paperwork and rather than get my $9800 return I owe them 6500. I haven’t filed my taxes since that year because I am getting robbed and I need help to have that year reviewed or reopened or fixed because this may be incorrect but I recently was told if I don’t have that year fixed I will not be able to get earned income credit for six years after that. Please please help me :(

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Did you use the Online version?  How to Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2023 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2023. I had to go though about 12 screens.

If you want to see the interview steps and questions and your answers, the only way to see what you entered into a prior year online return, would be to download the .tax2020 file and install the 2020 Desktop program to open it.  You can use this article on How to finish a prior year to download the .tax2020 file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

Back when I filed that year I had an attorney friend of mine, who is a family law attorney file my taxes, and when the audit came back, she was unable to help me resolve that, so I believe I e-filed

So if she filed your return you didn't use  Turbo Tax yourself?  If someone else filed your return for you then Turbo Tax can't help with that.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies