Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Refinancing questions !

Hello !

My question(s) deals with deductions for refinancing my home on December 31, 2020. My wife & I are in the process of completing the refinancing of our home in Arizona. We are awaiting to receive the "Closing Disclosue" email followed with closing with a notary on 12-31-2020. It appears that we will be required to close on 12-31-20, but because of the 3-day waiting period, it doesn't appear that the actual "FUNDING" will take place until sometime after 1-1-2021 due to the apparent lineup of clients refinancing at the same time. However, and in the meantime, can you answer the following:

(1.) The existing Wells Fargo 1st mortgage will be funded  3 days after the closing's 3-day waiting period so, can I use those deductions for 2020 or must they be used in 2021 ? 

(2.) Exactly what items can be used for deductions from the refinancing process while noting that the new mortgage will be with AMERISAVE even though it will possibly be sold to another lender at some point after closing. 

(3.) The closing & funding involves the loan payoffs to Wells Fargo, who holds the 1st mortgage, AND secondly to my credit union who holds a HELOC balance which is the 2nd mortgage. 

Please tell me the best way to make sure I don't miss any deductions for both of these loans while indicating what TAX YEAR(S) are affected. 

Thank you very much in advance !

Steve Monaco - AZ resident

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Refinancing questions !

Yes. Your understanding is correct. TurboTax will handle this. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Refinancing questions !

Mortgage interest is deducted in the year it’s paid. You should get a statement or form 1098 from the lender. 

You can deduct points paid for refinancing generally only over the life of the new mortgage. ... Points charged for specific services, such as preparation costs for a mortgage note, appraisal fees, or notary fees aren't interest and can't be deducted.

Refinancing questions !

So, it appears you are indicating that 1098 forms will be sent to me for both my 1st mtg. & 2nd mtg. & should contain the exact amounts of interest that can be deducted and clearly specify for which year (2020 or 2021) ? Points must be spread over the life of the loan based on the info you are providing. Does TURBOTAX walk through these refinancing procedures step by step?

Thank you!

Steve M. AZ

Refinancing questions !

Yes. Your understanding is correct. TurboTax will handle this. 

Refinancing questions !

Thank you for your responses. I will wait to receive any applicable 1098 tax forms for each succeeding tax year.

Steve M.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies