turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ipc1
Level 2

Do you have any assets that you acquired and started using after September 27, 2017?

Does this mean:

1) you acquired the property after September 27, and started using it after this date.

or

2) you acquired the property before September 27, and started using it after this date.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

Do you have any assets that you acquired and started using after September 27, 2017?

Acquired the property after September 27, and started using it after this date.

If the property was acquired before September 28 and placed into service after September 27 then the asset would not qualify for the bonus depreciation of 100%.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanO

Acquired the property after September 27, and started using it after this date.

If the property was acquired before September 28 and placed into service after September 27 then the asset would not qualify for the bonus depreciation of 100%.

ipc1
Level 2

How does the asset qualify for the bonus depreciation of 50%?
In turbotax how is an election made to not deduct the special depreciation allowance?
DanO

If you placed a “NEW” qualified asset in service before September 28, 2017, then you would qualify for the 50% bonus depreciation, or if you acquired and placed a “NEW or USED” qualified asset in service after September 27, 2017, then you can elect to use the 50% bonus for the first tax year after September 27, 2017.

In TurboTax, you will need initially select 50% or 100%, but when you go through the interview for depreciation of an asset you will have the chance to select;
Taking the 179 in full, or take a partial 179 with the remainder depreciated over the life of the asset, or depreciate the asset over the life of the asset without taking any 179.
You have two choices regarding the bonus depreciation that you can ignore, and the bonus will not be applied in any way.
ipc1
Level 2

As I go through the interview for the depreciation of the asset, I don’t get the choses that you describe. There are six steps in the process with sixth step being the Asset Summary.
ipc1
Level 2

The assets were acquired prior to September 27, 2017, and started using in November 2017.
DanO

You might need to close out of TurboTax and log back in.  I needed to log out to get the following;
I'll spread the deduction over several years.
I'll deduct the full value of the item this year.
I'll take a partial section 179 this year.

Additional options available only if the original use of the property begins with you.

I'll take a partial section 179 deduction this year and the 50% special depreciation allowance.
I'll take the 50% special depreciation allowance and spread the remainder over several years.
ipc1
Level 2

Exited TurboTax, then restarted but still don’t get the choices.
ipc1
Level 2

The rental property is overseas and therefore a foreign asset depreciated using ADS.
I read that for the Special Depreciation Allowance qualified property does not include any property required to be depreciated under the alternative depreciation system (ADS) (that is, not property for which you elected to use ADS).
Is this why the interview section for an asset does not include a screen for this depreciation?
Also, don’t get a screen for 179, what would be the reason for this?
DanO

Real property does not qualify for the Section 179 and bonus depreciation. The rental will depreciate over 40 years.
ipc1
Level 2

Should the new built-in kitchen cabinets be depreciated over 40 years?
Should the new built-in kitchen appliances also be depreciated over 40 years?
DanO

The kitchen cabinets and be depreciated over 40 years, the appliances can be depreciated over the life of the appliances which would be 5 years.
ipc1
Level 2

Thanks, for clarifying that built-in kitchen cabinets are depreciated over 40 years.
The property is outside the US so for the built-in kitchen appliances using ADS gives 9 years rather than 5 years.
Do I have a choice for the built-in kitchen appliances, of using 9 or 40 years?
DanO

You would need to go with 9 years, 40 years would not be considered the useful life of an appliance.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies