Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Real estate tax deduction - Home office

I have an LLC business and so I get paid via a K1, so I don't have a schedule C.   For my home office, I know I can take a percentage of the real estate property tax.   How / where does that deduction link up with the person deduction for the real estate tax (it needs to subtract the about, so I'm not double dipping).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

When your business income is reported on a K-1 form, the only way to take a home office expense is as an Unreimbursed Partnership Expense (UPE) on Schedule E.

Unlike the self-employed home office, the property taxes are not automatically divided between personal and business use. So you will need to figure your allowed amount to include in UPE and you will need to reduce your personal deduction by the same amount. 

Click here for more instructions on entering UPE in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

When your business income is reported on a K-1 form, the only way to take a home office expense is as an Unreimbursed Partnership Expense (UPE) on Schedule E.

Unlike the self-employed home office, the property taxes are not automatically divided between personal and business use. So you will need to figure your allowed amount to include in UPE and you will need to reduce your personal deduction by the same amount. 

Click here for more instructions on entering UPE in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank.  Yes, I figured that out.  Only issue is you have to override the real-estate tax on Schedule A and TT doesn't like the override.  I was able to enter the business amount on the Tax and Interest worksheet on line 2f (as a negative number)  Then filled in 8829 to support it.   This then resulted in the net correct number for the personal deduction.   Would have not gone through the trouble, but I'm over the $10,000 so the real estate tax deduction on Schedule A isn't much help. By having a percentage of it as a business expense, I save a few hundred bucks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies