turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wbacchas

Can you tell me to adjust my income for 1099b income already included in W2

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You do not "adjust your income" and you are not going to be double taxed.  I assume this relates to an employee stock option you exercised and cashed.  Here's the deal: in reporting the stock sale shown on 1099B, your cost basis is the value of the option exercise reflected on your W2.  Since your proceeds were probably slightly less than that due to fees or commissions this will result in a small capital loss.

yhojchman

Hi. I have a similar situation, but my 1099B, does show the lower cost basis (my exercise price)

So the exercise income was already represented in my W2, and when i enter my 1099B in turbotax, I am getting double taxed. Is the 1099B wrong? is there a way to solve this in the turbotax software?

Thanks, 

Assuming that your W2 income really does include exercise income, then your 1099B is incorrect.  You need to get the issuer to issue a corrected copy.

yhojchman

Thank you. I called them. they said i need to adjust my form 8949. Do you know how can i adjust the form 8949 in turbotax premier?

txs again!

ARE they producing a corrected 1099B or not?  The 8949,should reflect what was reported on the 1099B.  If they correct the 1099B then just back out the first transaction and enter the corrected one.  If they do not produce the corrected one, then filing the 8949 with figures that differ from the 1099B just will produce a letter from the IRS.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies