turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Will TurboTax 2019 still operate on Windows 7 after Microsoft no longer supports it?

@MIDGE1 wrote:

I AM RUNING WINDOWS 7. CAN YOU GIVE ME A SPECIFIC WEB SITE FOR FREE DOWN LOAD FOR WINDOWS 10?

I have no idea if this will actually work but the web site is reputable.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/

Will TurboTax 2019 still operate on Windows 7 after Microsoft no longer supports it?

From what I've heard from folks that upgraded from 7 to 10 when Microsoft was offering it for free, it's full of glitches.  They lost some data and some programs and printers that worked with 7 no longer work with 10.  Personally, I will be abandoning TT next tax season.  If you decide to risk it, let us know how it goes.  Good luck!

@Pasha87 wrote:

Personally, I will be abandoning TT next tax season.  

OK, but even if there is an alternative next season, there probably will not be the following season. Ultimately, everyone is going to have to upgrade or only use the online versions of tax prep software.

jlberie

will the online version pull in data from prior returns? have tried to upgrade to Windows 10 and not possible though my laptop meets minimum requirements and I won't get a new computer.....just will need to find an alternative to do my taxes....too bad since I've used turbotax for many years.....

Yes, data will transfer but when the products are released, you will know for certain whether the desktop products will install and run on Windows 7. Intuit will not provide support for Windows 7 but the software may install and otherwise function properly under that OS.

Microsoft ended the free Windows 10 upgrades some time ago.  If you want a legit copy you'll have to buy it.

Yes, but you'll get an annoying warning every time you start the program that you should upgrade to the bug-ridden Windows 10, and that you accept the "dangers" of continuing to use Windows 7.

I just installed TT2019 and am running Windows 7.

Yes, that was what MS planned, to stop offering a free upgrade at some point, but the adoption of Win 10 was so poor (less than 40% of Win 7/8 users), that as of the last time I checked ( a few months ago), you can still install it for free...if you feel brave enough to risk it.  So many of the Win 10 updates have caused havoc that I reverted to Win 7 some time ago.  If you have had a good experience with Win 10, more power to you.  Many people did not. Just check the blogs, tech sites, etc.

It works on my Win 7 machine, but Intuit gives a warning about it every time I start TT. If they stop supporting TT on Win 7, I will find another program to do taxes.  The risk of being attacked running Win 7 (with 3rd party anti-malware protection, robust firewall, etc.) is a lot lower than being legally hacked by MicroSoft Win 10 (it collects data on you all the time, and turning that data collection off is nearly impossible - why do you think they hand it out for free? The are a for profit company - they monetize your information.  Thanks, but no thanks, MS.)

Those of you who think switching to another tax program will be the ticket to not upgrading to Win 10 then you will be disappointed as all the income tax programs will required the same upgrade if not for the 2019 program then definitely for the 2020.   You can still use the TT ONLINE version instead. 

@Critter wrote:

Those of you who think switching to another tax program will be the ticket to not upgrading to Win 10 then you will be disappointed as all the income tax programs will required the same upgrade if not for the 2019 program then definitely for the 2020. 

Yep, below are the requirements for the 2019 versions of the H&R Block software versions.

Operating System: Windows - 8.1/10, Mac - OS X 10.9.5 or higher

Well MS is support Win 7 for enterprises beyond 2020, so Intuit better support Win 7 in the near future, as should others...through 2023.

"If you feel that you don’t want to move to Windows 10 yet or you simply don’t have the time to get away from Windows 7, Microsoft will allow users of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise to extend their Windows 7 security updates through January 2023."

And if enough users do not upgrade to Win 10, what will MS do?  Will they abandon us to Linux or Chrome?  Could be...

The latest numbers I've seen say that around 26% of PC users are/will still be using Win 7 on Jan 31, 2020 (that's millions of PCs btw):

"...Computerworld's latest forecast — based on the 12-month average — has Windows 7 powering 26.2% of all Windows PCs on January 31, 2020, nearly two points lower than the prediction of only a month ago and 4.5 points under July's prognostication. But even a year after its departure from public support, Windows 7 will still run an astounding number of personal computers.

In January 2021, Windows 7 should still account for 12% of all Windows operating systems, about one in every eight PCs and equivalent to approximately 180 million machines...."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies