turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does a W2 with only an amount in box 14 (CA SDI) need to be entered into TT? there are no other boxes populated on this W2. Cannot e-file if this is entered into TT.

This particular W2 is from a class action settlement and the wife received 2 of them for the same settlement. Both have different Employer Federal & State ID's. One has wages on it and the employer name is a bit different as it lists the plaintiff (John Smith, et al. v. Big Corp - c/o So & So Group) while the other one with just the CA SDI does not list the claimant (Big Corp - c/o So & So Group). I asked someone who has been preparing taxes for many years and it was stated that I would not have to report it since there are no wages on it though she has never seen a W2 with only this box 14 (CA SDI) filled out. The amount in box 14 is for only $1.00.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Does a W2 with only an amount in box 14 (CA SDI) need to be entered into TT? there are no other boxes populated on this W2. Cannot e-file if this is entered into TT.

You are correct that you can't efile with a W-2 containing only Box 14 info.

If the Employer IDs were the same on both W-2s, you could make one W-2 entry and add the Box 14 info to it (which is normally the case).

Just keep it for your records.  The $1.00 would not affect your return.

Here's more info about Box 14:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301932

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What if they have 2 different employer ID but box 14 is only for $2.02

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

In most cases, you want to enter the Box 14 amounts to be certain the your employer withheld the correct amount and if you itemize, it is included as a state income tax paid.  @mrsanahoward

Malibu109

I'm a little confused regarding the above answer (I have the exact situation -law suit settlement, only CASDI inbox 14). If you just omit that w2 without income, yes we can now e-file, but can an issue surface by not listing all w-2 forms, even if zero income on one? And if we add at least $1 to the income, which shouldn't really change much as far as our tax liability, it would still be listing something not accurate, which I have an issue with. Isn't the best thing to do is to list that w2 with the zero income, print and mail the return? Believe me, I would LOVE to have a way to just  efile it, which will save money and paper.

Thank you for your time!

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Yes, the best way is to print and mail.

However, if you omit the W-2 with just CASDI on it, it is unlikely that you will hear from the IRS.

The IRS matching program is all about finding unreported income that results in unpaid tax.

If the unreported form results in little or no tax, they usually do not send any correspondence.

I am in a similar situation where I have 2 W2s ,my blank W2 does not have a federal tax id . it only has a CA tax ID and box 14 has abt 5.76 $ in it. So TT wont let me enter the W2 . If I dont enter the W2 would it affect my tax returns? 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends. If this is an additional W-2 from the same employer showing only certain boxes completed you should enter the information combined with the first W-2 in TurboTax.  Never enter two W-2s for the same employer.  This happens many times when an employer needs to provide information for two different states.  If this is your situation simply add another box 14 to your regular W-2.

If you are not itemizing deductions then the amount in box 14 may not have any impact in your situation. This box is usually used for various pieces of information that do not fit in any other box.

@sweet6884

These W2s are from a Lawsuit settlement.

one W2 has the back wages and all the information with the federal EIN.

the other W2 is mostly blank , Federal EIN is blank.

Only column populated are CA SDI tax box, employer name and CA employer ID. 

the CA employer ID and employer name on both theses W2s dont Match. So I dont see how I can use the same employer federal EIN for the blank W2.

Do you still think combining info from both W2s is wise?

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

You may be able to avoid the issue you raise regarding your W-2s if the SDI you received is not taxable by the federal government.  In this regard, the federal government doesn't tax short-term disability benefits in California, unless the SDI payments are a substitute for unemployment insurance.  Were your SDI payments a substitute for unemployment insurance?  If not, then your SDI would not be subject to tax on your federal return.  Follow-up with additional information if necessary. 

@sweet6884

kdilip2000
Returning Member

I have the same situation and it is related to law suit settlement.  There are two different W2s.  This extra W2 has only one box 14 CA SDI amount.  It has different Fed EIN ID and CA state ID number.   I just entered $1.00 in Box 1 and now TT is okay to e-file.  However do you think it is okay to put $1.00 in Box 1 instead of not filing this extra W2 at all? Would IRS create any trouble around this? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies