Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mal1954

Upgrade to home and business version

I am being asked to upgrade my current desktop TurboTax Deluxe to the Home and Business version because I need schedule C. If I upgrade through the selection of “Jump to schedule c” it will take me all the way to the payment process. I can’t tell if this would be a “Desktop version”. Would this upgrade method allow me to maintain the capability to do multiple returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes, Home and Business is a desktop product.  Self-Employed is the online version of Home and Business.  And yes,  you will still have the capability to do multiple returns using Home and Business.  If you upgrade through your current product (Basic, Deluxe, or Premier), you will download and install the new version from the TurboTax servers.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

customer needs intallation code to  complete install of Turbo tax business
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Yes, Home and Business is a desktop product.  Self-Employed is the online version of Home and Business.  And yes,  you will still have the capability to do multiple returns using Home and Business.  If you upgrade through your current product (Basic, Deluxe, or Premier), you will download and install the new version from the TurboTax servers.  

tntmathews
Returning Member

Hi, I am in the same boat and when I install my desktop version of Premier, I will go to upgraded to home and business. But my question is when I’m done and I save my final return, if I don’t need the home in business for the next year, can I still purchase it from your desktop and use the same file from this yearHi, I am in the same boat and when I install my desktop version of Premier, I will go to upgraded to home and business. But my question is when I’m done and I save my final return, if I don’t need the home in business for the next year, can I still purchase the Premier desktop and use the same file from this year to start that return and important this year’s details?

If you have the Desktop program you really don't need to upgrade to Home & Business.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.   So you can keep Premier.

And you can open or transfer the .tax2020 file in any Desktop version.  So yes you can transfer the .tax2020 file from any version into any version next year.  And you can use the same file in either Windows or Mac programs.  

tntmathews
Returning Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer! And I assume if I wanted the extra help of home business, there’s an option to upgrade from within the desktop version? Have a nice day. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies