Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will TurboTax Home and Business 2020 work with Mac Big Sur OS? I don't want to update my operating system if that will mess up TT.

Please just don't leave a link. The link in someone's question about TT Premier won't open for me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies

Will TurboTax Home and Business 2020 work with Mac Big Sur OS? I don't want to update my operating system if that will mess up TT.

It should.  Big Sur is the newest OS, right?  Big Sur is 10.15  You can't open this link?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-... 

It says.......

Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2016 through 2020 software for Mac Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home Business editions.

Operating System

• 2020: macOS Mojave 10.14 or later
  • 2019: macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later

Thanks, VolvoGirl. Wouldn't open on my MacBook Pro, but it did open on my iPhone. I'm hoping someone who has actually upgraded to Big Sur will see this and weigh in definitively that TTHB works or does not.

@macuser_22 

Any problems on Big Sur?  

Also I wanted to ask you what about running Windows on a Mac?  Would that work if you have an old OS?  Could you use the Windows Turbo Tax on Mac?

I cannot answer either question.  Many applications that I use every day will not run in 10.15 and I know nothing about Windows - never used it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I just updated my Mac to Big Sur 11.1;  will wait to see if the T.T. Home & Business will install and work properly before purchasing;  will check back regularly for an update.

@goldyellow wrote:

I just updated my Mac to Big Sur 11.1;  will wait to see if the T.T. Home & Business will install and work properly before purchasing;  will check back regularly for an update.

There is no reason to think that it would not.   TurboTax is always tested and complied for the latest OS release.  TurboTax uses the latest Apple supplied developer tools, so if Apple supports it so does TurboTax.   The TurboTax system requirements say OSX 10.14 or later and 10.15 is later (and is the current system).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Big Sur is 11.1 NOT 10.15 so I am concerned that the software is not designed to work on Apple's latest MAC operating system.

I feel EXACTLY the same way, HawkeyeFL!!!! We need to find someone who has actually updated to Big Sur 11 because we've learned the hard way that "or higher" does not always tell the full story. Hopefully, someone out there will chime in soon.

I have seen posts from 3 different users who are running TurboTax 2020 on Big Sur, one had purchased a new Mac with the M1 chip and it runs just fine.

TurboTax will only publish an containment article if it will NOT run on a supported OS - and Big Sur is supported.

Many Mac users are running Big Sur and I have not seen anyone say that they had any issues installing 2020 TurboTax.

Having issue with TurboTax Home and Business on Big Sur 11.1.  I was able to install and run fine for about a week.  Now when I try to launch, an update screen flashes for less than a second then program quits.  Tried uninstalling following instructions in other posts removing cache and preference files and reinstalling.  Same error occurs.  Attached is a screenshot of the message box just prior to the application terminates.

The log file shows the application terminated after an uncaught c++ exception.

2020-12-22 20:45:42.786 TurboTax 2020[578:6274] Terminate called after uncaught c++ exception:
0 TurboTax 2020 0x00000001096f901b PrintStackAndTerminateOnUncaughtCPPException + 59

Any thoughts?Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 8.56.50 PM.jpeg

Correction to the log file:

the forum removed some of the numbers and replaced it with [phone number removed].

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 9.10.46 PM.png

I suggest

1) restarting the Mac.

2) Uninstall and reinstall TurboTax

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac
Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

3) If the problem persists contact support.

There is no single published number because it changes contently depending on the nature of the call and agent availability. Following the link below will either give a current number for you to call or take your number for a callback.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

No joy.  Same error after deleting all files and reinstalling.  Will contact support tomorrow.  

Thanks, TaxesAreTaxing, for sharing your experiences with us here. Please don’t stop posting here. So sorry you are having the problems. You solution will, in the long run, be the solution for us all. Please let us know what you learn from support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies