Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Will Turbo Tax be providing the e-fileable PDF General Dependency Stmt of Form 8915-E, released by IRS, as per IRS statement on Feb. 8 - Alternative File Methods? When?

From the two new posts I just read, is it even worth my time to go back to my return and try to complete the 8915-E, as well as the revisions to the 8606 that will be needed?  I have been waiting 3+ weeks to file my returns and get in line for my $13K refunds...and Turbo Tax has non-performed.

Is there anybody in the official Turbo workforce that is monitoring this community and can elevate the frustrations of many users?  The clock is ticking and April 15th will be here before we know it!

Will Turbo Tax be providing the e-fileable PDF General Dependency Stmt of Form 8915-E, released by IRS, as per IRS statement on Feb. 8 - Alternative File Methods? When?

@bomo817 wrote:

From the two new posts I just read, is it even worth my time to go back to my return and try to complete the 8915-E, as well as the revisions to the 8606 that will be needed?  I have been waiting 3+ weeks to file my returns and get in line for my $13K refunds...and Turbo Tax has non-performed.

Is there anybody in the official Turbo workforce that is monitoring this community and can elevate the frustrations of many users?  The clock is ticking and April 15th will be here before we know it!

Just went through the Form 1099-R section using the online editions.  No issues were found.

Entered a 1099-R using a code of 1 in box 7.  Indicated the withdrawal was due to Covid-19.  The program put only 1/3 of the withdrawal on the 2020 return and removed the early withdrawal penalty.

I have desktop version and their is no 8915E form yet.

Not following post about Form 1099-R Section - all of my 1099s are already coded "7" so how is it possible to change that code?  Also, I believe the election to spread taxable income from COVID-related distributions is done on the 8915-E form, and has nothing to do with 1099.  Am I missing something here?

if your code is 7, you already have no penalty.

All you can do is spread the tax over three years, which seems to be the default if you say COVID.

@bomo817 wrote:

Not following post about Form 1099-R Section - all of my 1099s are already coded "7" so how is it possible to change that code?  Also, I believe the election to spread taxable income from COVID-related distributions is done on the 8915-E form, and has nothing to do with 1099.  Am I missing something here?

You do not need to change the code.  That is just code I used since my test return was for someone under the age of 59 1/2.  The Form 1099-R has everything to do with the Form 8915-E since the 8915-E uses the withdrawal information from the 1099-R.  It needs to know how much was distributed so it can divide the amount into thirds and enter 1/3 of the distribution as taxable income on the 2020 tax return.

Chanstl
Returning Member

Frustrating, mine won’t do the 1/3 for 2020.

The 1099 code doesn't determine how the distribution is spread - you do, by filling out the 8915E and declaring how much of your distribution was COVID-related and how much was not.  From prior posts, this is not working and I am not going to waste my time going back into Turbo if the programming is still suspect!  I've already completed the IRS hard copy forms, so I know what the results should be - the issue is still having an online Form 8915E that WORKS!

@bomo817 wrote:

The 1099 code doesn't determine how the distribution is spread - you do, by filling out the 8915E and declaring how much of your distribution was COVID-related and how much was not.  From prior posts, this is not working and I am not going to waste my time going back into Turbo if the programming is still suspect!  I've already completed the IRS hard copy forms, so I know what the results should be - the issue is still having an online Form 8915E that WORKS!

I have found no issues using the online editions for a covid related withdrawal with the Form 8915-E that is now available with the online editions.

If you do not want to use TurboTax then clear your tax return, abandon the account and use another tax preparation software vendor.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2020 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

I have TurboTax Deluxe for desktop and I am not finding form 8915-E even when I update.  When am I going to be able to see that form so I can finish my taxes

As stated in other posts, the Turbo program is not working for COVID distributions.  The problem I am seeing is the taxable amount calculated on Form 8606 is NOT being reduced by the COVID-related amount that is to be shown on Line 15b of the Form 8606.  The amount shown on Line 15b is then carried over to Form 8915E where an election is made to spread over 3 years.  The issue appears to be with Form 8606 - where can I go for help?

Form 8915-E seems to be working for me, until I try to file. It identifies as issue with my State (New York) filing, reflected as such:

"Check This Entry

Pension/Annuities/IRA Worksheet: Txble Pens/IRA(Reg Dist) We're still working on updates related to Retirement Distributions that qualify for disaster or covid relief. You can keep working on your return and we'll remove this message when it's ready."

If I try to file, it says I can Mail only (no e-file). In summary, I still cannot file correctly. What a mess.

The form worked fine for me this morning and provided the correct questions to answer and the refund is correct for COVID distribution. I would recommend for anyone having a problem to do the free tax live help where a tax associate will share your screen and look at your return and see where the glitch is. Hope that helps you all.

The issue seems to be with purchased desktop versions.  The forms were supposed to be ready by yesterday but there has been no updates to the desktop programs as of yet.  Are you using the online versions?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

The 8915E is not available yet for the desktop products.  The 8915E is available for the online product.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies