turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will the irs still take your taxes if you owe being that this Coronavirus outbreak is going on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
marsgibs
Returning Member

Will the irs still take your taxes if you owe being that this Coronavirus outbreak is going on?

Everything I have read has said no. The money is being sent by the IRS, but since it is a stimulus check you would still get the stimulus check if you meet the qualification even if you owe back taxes. I imagine they would still take your income tax refund amount ,though, if you owed back taxes but I'm not sure on that part because I haven't seen that answered anywhere. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

There is currently a "stay" on collections efforts and they are not offsetting refunds.  You can see more about all of the IRS measures as they relate to the Coronavirus at the following links:

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Resources for COVID-19

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
timwald123
Returning Member

To be clear.  I filed 2019 on 03-25-20.  I am owed a refund of 1160.00, however I owe back taxes from several years ago.   IRS offset my refund last year to pay towards back taxes.  As of April 1st until July 15th, all collection activities are suspended.

Question:  I filed 2019 tax 03/25/20.  It has been accepted, but is still being processed.  Is the IRS going to offset my refund or not?  If they do I will not receive a refund.   Keep in mind that these are back taxes that I owe and majority of it is interest.

Tim

what can you do about it regardless of the answer?

In 21 days or so you should know the answer.

If not, wait some more.

your status should be showing on "Refund Status" at www.irs.gov by now.

timwald123
Returning Member

Understood.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies