Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mbed
Level 2

Why is TT telling me to mail Form 8453 to the IRS manually? I uploaded a PDF of my detailed 1099-B to TurboTax. Doesn't TT send my uploaded PDF 1099-B w my e-filing?

You do not need to send your 1099-B to the IRS they have been sent a copy of the form by your broker.

mbed
Level 2

Why is TT telling me to mail Form 8453 to the IRS manually? I uploaded a PDF of my detailed 1099-B to TurboTax. Doesn't TT send my uploaded PDF 1099-B w my e-filing?

does TT extract the info into the return?

TT crap out when I tried importing it.
I moved over to TT Desktop and it failed as well.
So I calculate the wash sale based on the summary. So do i have to print out hundreds of pages and mail it to the IRS? Or do i mail in the summary page with the total amount that I used to calculate the lost. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can mail the summary page with a copy of the 1099-B.  The IRS could ask for more much later down the road so keep a copy of everything with your tax file on paper or on your computer files, whichever works best for you.

@aznkk82 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

my 1099B is about 200 page. Ok no avoiding printing it out.

This might help some of us.

From Turbo Tax Help:

Should I summarize my sales?

If you have sales identified on your statement as Box A or Box D sales, and they don't include any adjustments to the gain/loss (e.g. a Disallowed Wash Sale amount), then you should simply enter a summary for these sales. You'll only need to enter the total sales proceeds, total cost basis, and sales category.

For sales that aren't identified as Box A or Box D sales, or that require adjustments, you have a choice to make. If you choose to enter summary totals for these sales, then you'll be required to mail in a statement with specific information about each individual sale. Otherwise, you can just enter each sale one at a time in TurboTax, and you won't have to mail anything in.

Here's a tip that might help: you can report individual sales as well as summaries for the same account. So let's say you have an actively traded account with 500 stock sales that are all Box A or Box D sales. Only 3 of the sales require any adjustments. In this case, you can report the 3 sales that require adjustments individually. Then you can report all the remaining sales by entering two sales summaries, one for all the Box A sales that don't require adjustments and one for all the Box D sales that don't require adjustments. By entering just 5 sales, you've covered all 500 sales and don't need to mail in any additional info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies