Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my refund so low this year. I made 60% more

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

We are unable to see your return to provide any specific reason. A lower refund can be caused by decreased withholding percentage in relation to the increase in wages and a decrease in tax credits due the age of the children or increase in income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sherrill0718
Returning Member

No one can tell you why exactly except your own tax adviser.  The most likely reason for the lower refund with higher income is your tax bracket changed.  The more money you make the higher your tax bracket in most cases unless you have new qualifying deductions.  You can read some of this information on the IRS website.  A very informative publication is Business Insider.  I am not a tax adviser.  I have however been filing my taxes for the past 31 years without one and took several college classes specifically in accounting and I can tell you that as my income went up or deductions changed, by refunds changed with them.  Your specific question, barring no change in your deductions, lends to the answer that you are now in a higher tax bracket than last year.  This is a good thing, it means you made more money. YAY!  And now pay more in taxes.  One other notable reason I see is our income tax deductions are lower from our paychecks.  This lowered our taxes, increased our take home pay and in turn lowered our refunds.  This occurred in the previous tax year not this tax year.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

There could be a couple of reasons that you are less in taxes this year.

Back in 2018, the IRS reduced the amount withheld from employee paychecks so people had more take home money. This was done because the IRS did away with the personal exemption and increased the standard deduction. The net affect of this has lowered the amount of refunds realized by the taxpayer.

You may want to verify that you entered everything into TurboTax correctly by following these steps:

1. Select Tax Tools on the left hand side of your screen,
  2. Select Tools,
  3. Select View Tax Summary,
  4. Select Preview my 1040 on the left hand side of your screen.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies