turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is form 8995A still unavailable?

I've been ready to file for a while now but Turbotax is saying I can't file because Form 8995A isn't available yet. First it said it would be available on 2/12/2020 and now it's saying 2/20/2020. I can go to the IRS website and find the form which is available now - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8995a.pdf

I tried calling Turbotax support and the person I talked to insisted the form isn't available yet, even through it very clearly is.

Anyone know what's going on with this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@sarasotakid wrote:

I would  feel a little less frustrated and angry if TurboTax just told the truth instead of blaming "the Government".

Would it make you a little less angry if you were made aware that other tax preparation software companies are having the same issue? One of those firms has a release date for 8995-A of March 5th.

View solution in original post

@cknight2 Try updating again - the form has been released.

View solution in original post

213 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Every new or updated tax form must pass several checkpoints before we can call it "final" in TurboTax. Here's how it works:

1. The government must approve the form to make sure it follows the tax law.
  2. The government then has to approve the tax software-specific version of that form.
  3. We then rigorously test the form in the software to ensure it's accurate.
  4. The government gives our form their final stamp of approval.
  5. We can then include it in the TurboTax program.

The form has been available on the IRS' website since December 2019. It shouldn't take this long to do any of the things in your list. It's a two page form - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8995a.pdf

I buy Turbotax with the expectation that I should be able to file my taxes as soon as the IRS starts allowing taxes to be filed, NOT at some seemingly random future date. Intuit needs to get this working ASAP

JJ3904

I concur with Jesses408.  The IRS released the form in December and it's going to take two months to include it in the software.  This is very disappointing coming from a company such TurboTax.  Surely this is not uncommon and TurboTax should be able to expedite the update.  By the way, step number one was completed in December.

I was planning to file my return today and this error is preventing me from filing.  Need this fixed ASAP turbotax!!!

Today, February 8, 2020, I went to this IRS website address: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8995-a

This webpage contains two links to PDF files: one for the 2019 Form 8995-A itself and one for its instructions.

The form itself is not labelled as a draft, but its instructions document is still only a draft as of December 12, 2019.  I found no information about when the final instructions will be available.  I think that Form 8995-A for 2019 will be available for filing using TurboTax only after the IRS publishes the final instructions document.

Ok ... just because the paper form is available doesn't mean the electronic form is ready ... even my professional program has a delay on that form until the IRS approves it for use ... this is not a simple thing to do as this form interacts with other forms which need to also be ready to accept it.  Thank the congress for delaying things AGAIN and making everyone's job more difficult.  Patience will be needed by all parties. 

Is this why my form 8995-A has a "watermark" that reads, "DO NOT FILE, FORM NOT FINAL"?

I'm done with my return and printed it out and I was just going through making sure everything was in order and saw that this particular page said it's not ready even though it's all filled out.

Thanks!

I relied on TurboTax, but checked independently; and found that IRS indeed had not issued form 8998A at that time. Then I checkef a couple of days ago; that form is now surely available with IRS but TurboTax is continuing to repeat the same mantra. I have a feeling the form is stuck in the TurboTax bureaucracy. 

I am planning to buy H&R software and see if they also have the same stand. I would appreciate if some one had used H&R Block software and if they have a different story. If H&R Block provides the form, then I am done with TurboTax forever.

@pverma222 wrote:

If H&R Block provides the form, then I am done with TurboTax forever.

You are NOT done with TurboTax; H&R Block is not scheduled to release Form 8995-A until 3/5/2020.

See https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/updates-back-editions/federal-forms-available.html

Items 3 and 4 are unnecessary.

No one needs to check if the form is accurate, once it is finalized and issued by the IRS. It is IRS's responsibility and what they have done with it. Trust them for your customers' sake.

Further, why do you have to have final approval from the IRS? Know that they DO NOT CHECK your software code. May be compatibility. Then why doesn't TurboTax advise me to file by mail?

@pverma222 wrote:
...why do you have to have final approval from the IRS? Know that they DO NOT CHECK your software code. 

The current release date is 2/20.

They most certainly do require interaction/compatibility test between the e-file vendor (TurboTax) and the IRS efile system before the IRS authorized the release of the form by the vendor.

Because e-fileing does not use paper forms - it transmits encrypted data in the exact format specified by the IRS/State or the IRS/State could not read it. The IRS/State first finalizes the paper form, then writes the e-file specifications and gives that to e-file providers to develop their software. Then the IRS/State must test with the e-file providers and approve the electronic forms before they can be released so that both ends are compatible. That process usually takes several weeks after the paper version has been released.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

In that case I should be using my pen, calculator and already released IRS form. 

If e-filing is the issue then why stop print-and-post filers?

Because TurboTax is an ERO.  The ERO is the Authorized IRS e-file Provider who originates the electronic submission of a return to the IRS.    An ERO can only offer tax forms that meet the IRS e-file schema requirements whether e-filed of mail filed - it is the same form.

Providers do not have separate or different forms for e-file or mail file.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/ero-technical-fact-sheet

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies