Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhbelair15
Returning Member

Why doesn't TurboTax allow me to e-file Hawaii return and pay balance due with direct debit? It's telling me to pay by check.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Why doesn't TurboTax allow me to e-file Hawaii return and pay balance due with direct debit? It's telling me to pay by check.

You are able to pay your balance due to the State of Hawaii by either mailing it in with a Payment Voucher or creating an account and Paying Online.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Beckola

Thanks for the information. I am dismayed that Turbo Tax put my bank name, routing number, and my account # in the state filing screen, yet I can't pay by direct withdrawal. Why would TurboTax ask for that info, and have me confirm the data if I can't pay by direct withdrawal? This seems a glitch to me and is confusing.

I called about this on Monday and spoke with a Turbo Tax 20 year CPA who told me that I needed to mail a check because the state of Hawaii does not accept electronic payments.  So I sent a check with the voucher Turbo Tax told me to print out and then this morning I saw that my bank had been debited because of me putting in my bank information in Turbo Tax to electronically pay.  So I basically paid twice.  Luckily I was able to put a stop payment on the check I wrote.  Turbo Tax needs to get their act together regarding this subject.

hcwolford

Ran into the same problem.  TurboTax asked for and required me to enter all my bank information for direct payment from the bank and then after filing I was told I had to issue a check and pay by voucher.  For the time being I am going to wait and see if my account gets debited as it should before I send a check...double paying.

I agree TurboTax has a problem they need to fix.

I ran into this problem also. I entered all the bank information and selected to pay both the Federal and State. After all that appeared to go through, it said Don't forget to print and mail the Hawaiii form.  I figured it was just an informational form. but it was a pre-filled Form N-200V, which is a Payment Voucher, and it says to include a check in the instructions.  But I believe I already paid in on Turbotax.  I will wait a couple of days to mail this in to see if it comes out of my bank account.

PS: I called Turbotax and she could not find any information about this issue, and told me to call [phone number removed], to ask the State of Hawaii Department of Taxation this question.

I'm in the same situation.  I opted to pay $25 to e-File for Hawaii.  I entered my info for electronic payment from my bank.  At the end, Turbo Tax still wanted me to mail in the N-200V form (Individual Income Tax Payment Voucher) and instructions in it doesn't account for folks that payed electronically.   So do I need to just send in the voucher without a check or include a memo that I had already opted to pay electronically?

I know it's probably not entirely Turbo Tax's fault but also the State of Hawaii for not making their documentation clearer.

Luckily, I can wait a few days to make sure my e-payment goes through or not.  Turbo Tax needs to remove the need to mail in the voucher if we opt to pay electronically.

The same thing happened to me for the 2021 tax year.   I contacted the State of Hawaii taxation in Hilo and they looked up my SSN and confirm that the debit payment did actually go through from the bank information I had entered in Turbo Tax.

I am having the same issue. Did your debit payment went through? 

Yes, mine went through using bank transfer of funds so I won’t be mailing in my voucher.

Yes it did!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies