Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does TurboTax show a different amount owed to me after I've already filed my taxes?

I opened TurboTax to see if I could change my State tax.  When I opened it, it asked if I wanted to update the program.  So I did.  Now my Federal Tax return is showing a different amount owed to us (we paid when I filed back in early March).  Why is that?  Should I file an amended tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Why does TurboTax show a different amount owed to me after I've already filed my taxes?

Did you save a pdf or printout after you filed so you can compare what updated?  Did you have unemployment?  Friday 3/26 there was a big update for that.  Or when did you file?  There are updates every Thursday.

Did you enter a 1099-G for unemployment comp?

Thanks so much SweetieJean.  Yes, it's the unemployment that changed!

Thank you so much, VolvoGirl.  It's the unemployment that made it change! 

LKelley315
Returning Member

The same thing happened to me. I originally owed 1400+ and now am getting a refund. Are you filing an amended return?

@LKelley315 - IRS has asked that folks do NOT submit an amended return for the unemployment refund.... they have stated they have all the information they need to figure it out on their own..... they asked all just 'sit tight'

you can google many articles about that, 

LKelley315
Returning Member

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know when they might return my original refund they took from my bank account? Or provide a link?

Very helpful - thanks so much!

Hi, see the other answers in this thread.  Sounds like we need to sit tight until the IRS gets back to us.  

Mike Sm
Returning Member

My totaled amount owed for federal taxes went down after I already filed. Is that because I was on unemployment?

most likely and probably so..... IRS says not to file an amendment as they intend to send out refunds beginning in May and it'll take them most of the summer to get to everyone.

Not unemployment.  I filed my taxes - paid the balance due.  I went to check return status, the 2020 program updated.  Now it says Federal Tax Due is less than I paid.  Does anyone know any other causes than unemployment?  Should I file an amended return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies