turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does entering in dependent's ssn lower tax return by $1100?

I selected that I had a dependent, but I didn't know the SSN right off the top of my head so I moved on.  Since I had a dependent it raised my tax return.  I am going back in to enter the SSN and it now lowered my refund by $1100.  Why is this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Looks like you need to update your Recovery Rebate Credit information section in the program.  Here are the steps:

In the TurboTax Online program,  

• After sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, under Search, type in "stimulus" and Enter
  • Select Jump to stimulus
  • Follow prompts to answer the questions and enter the amounts.

If you have not received any stimulus payments for yourself and your dependent, you can claim them on your 2020 tax return.  However, if you have received the amounts, enter zeros in the Rebate Recovery Credit section and the program will update your tax refund.  The Recovery Rebate Credit is a credit that was authorized by the CARES Act.  If you were eligible for an Economic Impact payment, commonly referred to as a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or you received less than the full amount as an advanced payment in 2020 then you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. To learn more, click here: Recovery Rebate Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please ensure that you did not check "Social Security number is not valid for employment" when you entered the SSN:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "My Info" from the left side of your screen
  3. Click “Edit” next to your dependent's name
  4. Continue until you get to the SSN.

That was not checked

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Is it possible that you have insurance through the Marketplace and the Premium Tax Credit is what is being affected?

You can print your return with your dependent and then print one without them and see exactly what the difference is.

I do not have it through marketplace.  It looks like the difference is $1100.  I found through reviewing the forms that it is on the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet.  On line 6 I had $500 and after updating with the social security number it dropped it to $0.  The same on line 9 where it was $600 and then after updating it dropped it to $0.  I answered all the questions about the dependent a few times and I don't understand why I wouldn't qualify for this.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Looks like you need to update your Recovery Rebate Credit information section in the program.  Here are the steps:

In the TurboTax Online program,  

• After sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, under Search, type in "stimulus" and Enter
  • Select Jump to stimulus
  • Follow prompts to answer the questions and enter the amounts.

If you have not received any stimulus payments for yourself and your dependent, you can claim them on your 2020 tax return.  However, if you have received the amounts, enter zeros in the Rebate Recovery Credit section and the program will update your tax refund.  The Recovery Rebate Credit is a credit that was authorized by the CARES Act.  If you were eligible for an Economic Impact payment, commonly referred to as a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or you received less than the full amount as an advanced payment in 2020 then you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. To learn more, click here: Recovery Rebate Credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies