turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are the advertisements on the web and commercials stating Turbo tax is free

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Turbotax is free to start. Final cost is determined by the complexity of your return.

If your income is less than $36,000, you can use the IRS FreeFile version of Turbotax, which is completely free and includes complicated forms not normally included in the regular free program.  

The FreeFile Turbotax web site is separate from regular Turbotax and you will need a separate account and to start over from scratch. https://freefile.intuit.com

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Many taxpayers have simple returns that will qualify for the Free program. However, some taxpayers have returns that require forms and schedules not covered by the Free version. Click here to see the pricing tiers and to learn what is covered in each package. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Opus 17
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Turbotax is free to start. Final cost is determined by the complexity of your return.

If your income is less than $36,000, you can use the IRS FreeFile version of Turbotax, which is completely free and includes complicated forms not normally included in the regular free program.  

The FreeFile Turbotax web site is separate from regular Turbotax and you will need a separate account and to start over from scratch. https://freefile.intuit.com

lions1986
Returning Member

the Intuit TurboTax commercials taunting FREE....FREE...are so misleading and I believe borderline fraudulent.  Let's see how free it was for me this year.  Program $40.  Delaware state program $39.99.  eFile Delaware and New Jersey $39.98.  Virginia state program $44.99.  eFile Virgina 24.99.  If i did the match correctly this is $189.95.  hmmm FREE?  I have used Turbo tax for years but 2019 will be my last time.  Not so much for the costs as it is for their false adverting.    I recently stopped using Quicken when they went to an annual subscription.   Looks like my days of using Intuit products are over. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

TurboTax Free Guarantee: $0 Federal + $0 State + $0 To File offer is available for simple tax returns with TurboTax Free Edition. A simple tax return is Form 1040 only, without any additional schedules. Situations covered include:

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits

lions1986
Returning Member

Then why doesn’t the commercials state this fact. I have seen many commercials all saying Free Free. and never heard what you responded   The commercials need to clearly state what is free. And what you will pay if you need other forms. Free is so misleading.  Good buy Turbo Tax.  Good buy Quicken.  Good buy Intuit. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Your comments have been forwarded.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies