Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

While uploading a Crypto CSV file from Coinbase Pro, I received the error message "validation failed". What might be wrong with my file and how can I upload?

You do realize, you can just go to the official IRS website to click a link to Turbo Tax and get this service for free, right? I haven't paid for Turbo Tax in years. Also, Cointracker is what I used, but I didn't pay for that, either. If you import everything into Cointracker, it will show you all of your transactions, and you can manually add your trades from there as it also calculates your Net Gain.

While uploading a Crypto CSV file from Coinbase Pro, I received the error message "validation failed". What might be wrong with my file and how can I upload?

This may work but it will cost an additional $49.  Coinbase and Turbo Tax have already stated it can be done between the two of them.

@FinnishArmy  “You do realize...” that if that was known then no one here would be asking this and other related questions on this forum...correct? You should attempt to not provide responses with condescending statements on a community forum where members help other members without the a$$hole tone. 🙂 

@FinnishArmysome of us have reasons for paying, there are benefits. Secondly, uploading a CSV from Cointracker isn't working either.

Wanna drop this here, I've had no issues at all with CryptoTrader.Tax  - https://cryptotrader.tax/blog/how-to-file-your-cryptocurrency-taxes-with-turbotax

This requires an additional $49 fee.  I would like to do it without additional fees.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you experience issues downloading, please contact Coinbase directly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have submitted Case# 04507578 with Coinbase.  However, Coinbase is notorious for having poor to no support for their platform.  They even admit it:  "We’re currently experiencing an increase in inquiries. There may be a delay in responses from Coinbase Support. Learn more about our commitment to a better customer experience in our latest blog post. We appreciate you bearing with us during this exciting time for the cryptoeconomy."  I have talked to a nice lady at Turbo Tax and she has escalated it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't even make $50 why would I want to pay more than I made to get the report?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it more than $10? Because my gains are not much higher

rami2765

still didnt work for me and i have also tried bitocin.tax and still doesnt work :(

This is definitely a Coinbase issue. I opened up a ticket with them.  I was able to use the third party that coinbase recommends. Luckily I had less then 25 transactions and didn’t have to pay anything. The report from third party loaded without problem. Seems Coinbase and this third party maybe working together to milk us for more money. I will not be using coinbase anymore. 

what happens if we all decline to file crypto tax?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

IRS won't be happy.  Last year, the agency sent letters to more than 10,000 taxpayers with virtual currency transactions, telling them to pay back taxes and file amended returns. Failing to report income can carry hefty penalties and interest. In the worst case, you could go to prison and be fined up to $250,000.

Virtual currency transactions are taxable by law just like transactions in any other property. Taxpayers transacting in virtual currency may have to report those transactions on their tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

then I'll just have to do it manually i guess... :( i thought coinbase and turbotax were partners. but apparently not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies