Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

rami2765

While uploading a Crypto CSV file from Coinbase Pro, I received the error message "validation failed". What might be wrong with my file and how can I upload?

You see now I like that mentality lol

WBTF
Level 1

While uploading a Crypto CSV file from Coinbase Pro, I received the error message "validation failed". What might be wrong with my file and how can I upload?

having the same issue, getting this message over and over from my coinbase account. 

Please make sure your CSV file has columns for Currency Name, Purchase Date, Cost Basis, Date sold, and Proceeds, then try uploading again.

I contacted Coinbase weeks ago and have not gotten any response.  Also I am not paying $50 to report my $200 of losses on under $600 worth of transactions.  This is getting ridiculous.

THIS IS JUST BAD ADVICE. The CSV files you download from CB have headers, just not what TT wants to see. You want me to pay a premium price for calculating my crypto tx, but you can't be bothered to make the format work. Stop telling people to follow the directions that don't work!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Coinbase no longer supports a direct import of a CSV file into TurboTax from their site which has resulted in an error message for some users. Instead, Coinbase is relying on a 3rd party, CoinTracker, as an option to calculate your cryptocurrency gains and losses and to access your CSV file. 
For more information, including a link to CoinTracker, please see this TurboTax Help Article: How do I get a CSV File from Coinbase?

@RICKY92

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
notyoshi

This is absolutely not true. You all at TurboTax need to quit trying to mislead existing customers. I literally just payed $60 to CoinTracker and guess what? The SAME error as that for Coinbase occurs (header not found). I hope you're looking forward to a fresh hot lawsuit in the mail.

What a pain.... If you are still looking, I've had pretty great success with CryptoTrader.Tax. CoinTracker's support is pretty unresponsive - https://cryptotrader.tax/blog/how-to-file-your-cryptocurrency-taxes-with-turbotax

Cointracker provides the option to download TWO types of CSV files, Transaction History and Capital Gains. The Capital Gains CSV file is the one that will upload into TT correctly. This can be found by going to the "Taxes" tab at the top of the screen and selecting "Tax Center." Then, scroll down until you see "Tax Reports" on the right hand side of the screen. Click on "CSV Reports" and download "Capital Gains CSV." This should result in a successful upload of your transactions into TurboTaxScreenshot 2021-03-17 233650.jpg

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ for more information. 

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why does everyone keep trying to refer to CoinTracker now when at the beginning of this calendar year, TurboTax and CoinBase have been saying they work cooperatively and that TurboTax will take COINBASE outputs. They both should be investigated for false advertizing. 

And why do different tax consultants post the same solutions that don't work for anyone. Is this this only way you get paid? 

JasonB5
Returning Member

To the Turbotax rep who keeps posting a link on how to get the csv.....Everyone here knows how to download the Csv file, that's not the issue at all. Do you even read these comments???

Yea that guy is a total **bleep**ing idiot. Why is it this hard to upload a csv that is literally supported by turbotax ??? Makes 0 sense.

My god I wish there was a thumbs down for useless replies like these...

2023 this issue remains. TurboTax is buggy. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies