turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

While uploading a Crypto CSV file from Coinbase Pro, I received the error message "validation failed". What might be wrong with my file and how can I upload?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

43 Replies
AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

While uploading a Crypto CSV file from Coinbase Pro, I received the error message "validation failed". What might be wrong with my file and how can I upload?

Are you trying to download any transaction history files? Those files won't upload. Please refer to the following article for assistance with uploading the CSV file.

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The question was about "Coinbase Pro". It's not the same as Coinbase. If you follow the instructions on the link you won't be downloading your Coinbase Pro transactions. Their Support team says it's a TurboTax issue. I get a message that says "No headers found in this file" . The "Coinbase" CSV files that you download from each wallet upload fine to TT. Please let us know how to proceed. I would imagine there are millions of people that use "Coinbase Pro" and Turbotax. And yes I tried uploading on a bunch of different browsers and machines.

@AkinaLO,

Please flag or do whatever it is that employees do in order to inform supervisor(s) about issues between TT and a "trusted company partner," in this case that "trusted company partner" is Coinbase. They've removed their "gains/loss" calculator for their users and are requiring use to use 3rd party companies so the 3rd party company, as well as Coinbase, make even more profit off of us. Kind of sad and pathetic. 

I too am getting this error while attempting to upload CSV files from both Coinbase and Cointracker. I even imported to Google Sheets to verify there were headers and exported from there.

Perhaps trying one of the other TurboTax crypto partners may work out better? I've been using CryptoTrader.Tax the past three years without any issues. Here's a guide from their site on importing into TurboTax Online: https://cryptotrader.tax/blog/how-to-file-your-cryptocurrency-taxes-with-turbotax

"Heads up, we only support CSV files from partners. Your Coinbase file will be compatible as long as it's under 2251 transactions."

According to TurboTax it is supposed to work so I shouldn't have to pay a 3rd party service when I'm already paying TurboTax for this feature.

No this is completely incorrect and outdated. Please update that help site, because Coinbase doesn't have those options anymore.

Seconding this, it seems like the article written to guide us through Coinbase, Coinbase now reports things differently -- no gain/loss caluclator. They still allow downloads of a CSV file for the year, BUT Turbo tax keeps throwing an error saying "No headers found in this file". Coinbase's partnership with TT Premier and touting the ease of the transaction data is the only reason I'm using this service and am hoping it gets fixed before taxes are due. 

I keep getting “No headers found in this file”. 

I tried updating them through excel and numbed and still get the same error. Please fix this. It’s extremely frustrating. 

dailyphil

@AkinaLO 

I'm also getting the error: "Please make sure your CSV file has columns for Currency Name, Purchase Date, Cost Basis, Date sold, and Proceeds, then try uploading again." Coinbase doesn't have these columns when you export the doc from their site. Please fix this. Manually entering each transaction will take way too long.

The article linked by @AkinaLO does not contain accurate information. Step 2, "Select 2020 next to Gain/Loss Calculator." is not an available option. 

The product page claims TurboTax Premier & Self Employed can "Accurately account for gains and losses from cryptocurrency transactions" (https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/). Please advise how we can do this for trades made using Coinbase Pro, given what data users are able to download from their accounts on that site.

Last year it worked.

But this year I keep getting the error message "No headers found" and when I look at the Excel Spread    CSV file  there are the purchases and sales listed, but no information about the cost basis.

How am I supposed to know what cost basis applies to my many sales?  This ought to be set up similar to a Tax Form 1040 Schedule D Format.   So if other members mentioned that the gains/loss calculator is missing, why is that??

That throws a very bad light on Coinbase and also on Intuit Turbo Tax when the steps are supposed to be simple, and then they are not.

Since I am not the only one with this trouble, and we are now at the beginning of February, 2021, please, please fix this up to the taxpayers' satisfaction.  And pronto !! 

Having the same issue -- it seems to be a turbotax issue that they have not yet addressed....

Update -

After I had tried everything else, I grinded my teeth and used the application COINTRACKER and sure enough, it worked.  They guided me through the steps.  

I feel good that this portion of my Tax Return is now "done" - but I feel that last year we had the Coinbase Gains/Loss File for 2019 for free, and this year, after already paying for TurboTax, we still have to use a Third Party and pay again.

No way would I have been able to manually enter my numbers, meaning which cost base to use and when.  A  regular tax filer, without accounting training, cannot do this.   So this is how we are forced into this extra expense.  And next year, too, you can count on that.

On the funny side, once this application COINTRACKER is now linked to Coinbase, it e-mails me each morning with something like, "Hello, we found these new transaction results in your history and these are your daily results.  .....% here,  .....% there,  etc."    Well, okay, so much for modern technology.  

I feel like I am living in a fish bowl, "Big Brother Is Watching".  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies