Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I select standard deduction in 2018 Turbotax Deluxe?

I am using Turbotax Deluxe for my 2018 taxes.  Which tab do I click on to select standard deduction (24000 for a joint return) instead of having to itemize my deductions?  Or, is standard deduction the default choice?  Also, where do I go to enter all federal tax payments I made in 2018, including estimated tax payments?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
SharonC1

TurboTax is designed to choose between the standard deduction and the itemized deductions so that the program picks the best option for you.  

However, if you need to switch the option TurboTax chooses, open your return and then search for itemized deductions and exemptions inside your TurboTax program.  Click OK.

You will be taken to the screen that will tell you which one you are currently using (standard deduction vs. itemized deduction).  That screen will also have a box to check if you would like to change the method TurboTax has automatically selected for you.

You can also use the search box to be brought to the page where you enter the tax estimates.  Type Estimated Tax Payments in the search bar, click ok and you will be taken to the section of TurboTax where you enter these payments. 

stmain

this is false. If I search for "itemized deductions and exemptions" it does NOT take me to any screen where I can change between standardized deductions and itemized.
llww

search "standard deduction and exemptions" instead, it will bring you to the choice window

Where do I select standard deduction in 2019 Turbotax basic?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You do not have to select the standard deduction; TurboTax automatically selects the standard deduction when you start your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think the point of the question, and I have the same one, is how to avoid entering all the deductions. After all that's the whole advantage to the standard deduction. If I have to enter all that stuff anyway, the advantage is lost!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies