Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I imput form 3849 in my 2020 tax return. Do I fill out the form 3849 form or does my health insurance company fill it out and send it to me?

Why does turbo tax no allow me to file my return until Feb 12th?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Where do I imput form 3849 in my 2020 tax return. Do I fill out the form 3849 form or does my health insurance company fill it out and send it to me?

The IRS will start accepting and processing tax returns on 02/12/2021.

However, you can complete and submit your return with TurboTax and your return will be first in line.

If you bought health insurance through one of the Health Care Exchanges, also known as Marketplaces, you will receive a Form 1095-A which provides information about your insurance policy, your premiums (the cost you pay for insurance), any advance payment of premium tax credit and the people in your household covered by the policy.

To add the 1095-A form :

• Select Federal from the left menu.
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

When you get to your state-filing, you will be prompted to enter the Form 3895 on your CA tax return.  Once you enter form 3895, TurboTax will generate form 3849.

Form 3849 (Premium Assistance Subsidy) is used to reconcile advance premium assistance subsidy payments. TurboTax will generate this form when you enter the information from your 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
melSD
Returning Member

I have employer-provided health insurance and did not obtain heath insurance through any Marketplaces. 

According to CA FTB, Form 3849 Premium Assistance Subsidy form is "to reconcile advance premium assistance subsidy payments."  So this form should only be required for someone who received subsidies for health insurance. 

I checked "No" under the question "Were you enrolled in any of these less common plans: Covered California (3895), Obamacare, Healthcare.gov plan, Another state's Marketplace plan".

Shouldn't this mean that Form 3849 does not apply?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct. The data on the 3849 comes from the 3895 that you enter which should have been mailed to you. Did you receive a 3895?

zqw1103

I have 3895 and generated 3849 but I see missing input from 12-23. those should be filled out right from 3895? 

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you please delete forms 3853 and 3892, then re-enter the 3895 because the numbers should have transferred over? For instructions to delete a form, please click here.

zqw1103

I deleted and reentered but still blank in 12-23. i should have no credit refund since it is 0 from 3895. but I think they should not be empty?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@zqw1103

I had an issue with my 2020 State (California) transfer. Turbo Tax took the  Federal Form 1095-A information and transferred it directly to the State Form 3895 (which then feeds Form 3849). This was one area I wish Turbo Tax would have asked if the information was the same because for some reason the information was NOT the same on my forms.  Column C in Form 3895 was different than the Fed Form 1095-A Column C so there was a $2,600 payment showing for the State Tax that shouldn't have been there. Once I went back and put in the correct information in Form 3895, that money due reflected zero which was correct.  I knew I didn't owe them $2,600 so initially I manually overwrote the figure on my Form 540 State, it took quite a while for me to track what had happened in order to fix the issue without an override.

Also, I dislike that the Federal Tax Form will no longer allow me to do the overrides on certain lines, like tax penalty.  I prefer to do my own calculation.  I am a little disappointed in Turbo Tax this year when it came to my 2020 taxes, my trust after 20 years of using the product has a dent in it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies