Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I enter in stimulus payments?

My spouse and I married in 2020, and my spouse changed jobs and got a large bump in salary. We married in between the second and third stimulus checks. I do not qualify for any of them if I was single. She qualified (if single) for payments with her 2019 salary, but her 2020 salary is over the limit. We're filling married, and our combined income is over the limit. She/we recieved stimulus payments based on her 2019 income, but I think we have to pay them back since our 2020 income is too high? Where does TurboTax ask if she or I received stimulus payments? I went through the entire federal return and it never asked me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Stimulus payments received do Not have to be paid back.

If you are not eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return then the questions for stimulus payments will not be asked.

IRS website for Recovery Rebate Credit FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit-topic-b-eligibility

Generally, if you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020, were not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment, you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

it is not going to ask because it knows you are not eligible for the Recovery Credit as your 2020 income is too high.  

to prove that, artificially lower you income and you will see it in the federal review section.

it is confusing, but the Recovery Credits are based on your 2020 tax return LESS the payments you received already.  If that result is negative, you don't get anymore and you don't have to return any of the stimulus you received.  

whatever your 2019 income was or your 2019 filing status does not matter.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies