Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: When will the energy-efficient vehicle section be available on TurboTax?

Argh!!  It's available for some, but not all - I keep refreshing and have tried a different browser, but to no avail.  Sigh.

Looks like maybe tomorrow?  Here's hoping!!

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: When will the energy-efficient vehicle section be available on TurboTax?

UPDATE, 4:15 PM Pacific, February 12, 2020.

Users of the Download/CD version of TurboTax please update your software Form 8936, 8606 and 4684 are now available for immediate use.

For TurboTax online users, updates typically happen in the overnight hours, please check tomorrow morning for updates.

Thank you so much for all of your input, suggestions, and patience. 

We are listening to you, and we do appreciate you!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you @SusanY1 

FA112

for my 2019 Tesla TurboTax is calculating $7,500 tax credit. Technically it's not correct, but is there background calculation happening? no box to enter 50%, is it automatically done by TurboTax? It isn't like box 4a, 4b and 4c as it say in 8936, its just collecting vehicle info and calculating the tax credit. Is it correct?

Hi

The software does not have the update!

thesubwayjosh
Returning Member

I'm seeing the same thing for my Tesla.  It's calculating 7,500.  Not the phase-out.  Has anyone figured this out?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

We are working on updates to the phase-outs and the way the information reports to this form, please sign up to be notified as soon as the update is complete.   Form 8936 Update Notification Sign up Form.

Hi Susan, thank you for your update. Do you know when TurboTax will fix the system to get the Form 8936 tax credit calculated correctly ? Many thanks! 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I don't know an exact timeline for this, yet, unfortunately. 

I am watching for it like a hawk and as soon as I know, I will report back! 

In case the news comes through when I am not available, make sure you have signed up HERE for notifications.

My Nissan Leaf is not in the phaseout period yet, so I should be good. Thanks to the team for getting this out.

Good morning, I have a question... this is my first electric vehicle so I’m little bit confused,,,I have 2019 Toyota Prius prime plug in,,,and per information the amount that i should get is $4502 but when I input all the information it seems that I’m getting around $2700? Is this normal? Thank you

Thank you Susan. According to a TT link posted, it looks that Form 8936 is available since 2/13/20. At least on TurboTax system (on line) is possible to manually adjust & fix the tax credit amount  to be refunded.

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

The Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit or Form 8936 is not calculating correctly. The tentative credit is showing as too high. 

This issue is projected to be fixed by 02/21/2020.

You can sign up here to receive email notifications when updates related to this issue become available.

Please see this TurboTax Help Article for more information.

@Ladollarhouse

@paulofigueiredo

CGQGTT

Do you have an estimated date when this is going to be available?   Can you let us all know please. Thank you. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The estimate right now is it is projected to be fixed by 02/21/2020. You can sign up here to receive email notifications when updates related to this issue become available.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies