Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the 2021 8915-f form be available on Turbo Tax to efile?

I guess it’s just frustrating to post a message that’s intended to help others that can’t wait until April to get their refunds and then be called a scammer. At least that’s how I felt. 

dotoole2
Returning Member

Did someone say TT has 8915-F because I have searched and searched and cannot find where?

Anonymous
Not applicable

***I'm not a tax professional or authorized to give tax advice. This information is strictly informational.***

As already shared in this string, those who chose to spread CARES-related income over three years still need to wait for TT to code IRS Form 8915-F into the software. The IRS appears to have finalized this form on February 3, so we are waiting on TT at this point - not the IRS.

How will it work in TT? In TT Premier online (my sole point of reference), I think there's at least a hint in the Wages & Income section.

When I click on "Retirement Plans and Social Security" and "Start" or "Revisit" (depends on past clicks) for "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)," it takes me to a new page asking, "Did you get a 1099-R in 2021?," and I click "No" because I didn't - my CARES-related withdrawal was in TY 2020. The next/new page asks, "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?," and I select "Yes" and click "Continue." The next/new page asks, "Did either of you (joint return for me) take a disaster distribution at any time between 2017 and 2020?," and I select, "Yes, we took a disaster distribution between 2017 and 2020," and click "Continue." The next page disappointingly tells me, "You'll need to revisit this area" and tells me TT is waiting on the IRS to finalize instructions.

As mentioned at the beginning of this post and according to the IRS, instructions for Form 8915-F and form 8915-F itself have been published as final versions since February 3. You won't need to complete and file Form 8915-F manually, but you will need to wait for TT to add it and the associated questions to complete your taxes using TT.

I believe this form has been released by the IRS , when will turbo tax have it ready 

Don't take it personally. I am sure they were only telling people to do their research and be careful. We all have to be each other's keeper these days. Thanks for sharing the info.

If you filed else where why come on here and further offer input when you used another company.  Do you work for another company and just trolling for them. 

Was thinking the same thing. I like Turbo Tax and will just wait for them to update the software. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, that's not what you were doing.  You are shilling for another service.  Paid or unpaid, still trolling.

As far as you being a "brother's keeper," I don't want one or need it, so keep it to yourself.

I believe little or nothing that you say here, and if there was a way to block seeing your useless trolling, I would.

Do you get kickbacks from Turbo Tax?  What do you care if someone posts other software here?  People are free to post what they feel will help other people out.  If some other software has this form already available maybe some people are not willing to wait for it to make it to Turbotax and its their choice to do so.

Anonymous
Not applicable

switching to what?  none of the other providers have this particular form ready yet either and since it's a NEW form that has to go through a process that the IRS controls - no one can say with certainty when it will be ready. 

Actually, several other tax prep companies have this specific form uploaded to their software. I don't want to mention which ones (but I have as well as several others in previous posts) because I've been accused of  "shilling". Just read back the comments. The form is available elsewhere but not in TurboTax... Unfortunately. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

nope, still waiting on the IRS  The paper form was finalized but what the IRS has to approve for the software is entirely different.  

I will pray for you. You need serious help and unfortunately, I wish I could avoid seeing your non-sensical posts as well. If you can read, you will see that I am ultimately advocating for Turbotax. 

Other providers have the form ready. We are upset because TurboTax is way behind the eight ball on this one.

The reason your refund looks bigger on TT is because they haven't included the income from your hardship withdrawal yet.  They are completely ignoring the fact that last year you elected to spread your tax burden over 3 years..  Once they have the form available then you will input the 1/3 portion of your hardship withdrawal and your refund will go down by whatever the tax you owe on that 1/3 amount.  I knew right away after completing everything else in TT that I wasn't going to get a $12k refund.  So I went to the FreeTax version and input all my info (manually because they don't link with W2 or 1099 providers unfortunately).  My refund then made more sense.  I even removed the withdrawal amount from FreeTax just to check, and the refund went up to the exact amount TT was showing, which is wrong!  That's part of what frustrated me about TT.  It didn't give any indication that I needed to wait to file until they had the 8915F, they would have let me proceed with submitting an inaccurate return and risk having to pay penalties and pay back the refund later on.  At first I just assumed they pulled all the hardship withdrawal info from 2020 and I was ready to file, but the refund was too large so I poked around and figured the form was missing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies