maestrowork

When will the $10,200 of unemployment tax exemption go into effect?

The IRS has a tool online to check your refund status. Unfortunately it's rudimentary. If it's been processed it would suggest a time frame. But if it's still waiting in queue for processing, you won't get any updates.   Turbo Tax is a software tool, so it has nothing to do with IRS processing. Currently the IRS has a backlog of over 35 million tax returns, and they are short-handed. So you need to be patient.   My refunds were issued just two days ago, and I filed in March.  So it will take some time.

The IRS refund tool is not going to show anything about those "extra" refunds or recalculations for the unemployment tax law change.    The advice to wait patiently is on target----calling the IRS is nearly impossible.

maestrowork

Yup, they are reporting that the IRS is not even answering calls. They are overwhelmed with over 35M returns still waiting to be processed.   Patience is the game here.

SoccerRefMon

Thanks for responding, "maestrowork,." I'm not overly concerned about the refund: it's under $200. My concern is the letter I received saying that I've not fulfilled the payment agreement that I submitted back in March and owe $1700+. I don't want to be "dunned" by the IRS.

Do you think I should submit an amended return? I have all the numbers from using TurboTax after the Act was signed. Or should I ignore the letter, and wait.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

SoccerRefMon

Thanks for responding, "xmasbaby." I know what you mean. Every avenue that I tried this morning to contact the IRS resulted in a "We're not accepting calls at this time" response. I guess I'll just wait.

SoccerRefMon

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that, and keep good records.

SoccerRefMon

Thank you *so much* for these resources!!! I've bookmarked them all.

loisemory

I file my taxes before it was sign into law about the unemployment taxes will I get another refund

loisemory

How will I know if I will be getting a refund on the unemployment tax

Some folks will and some may not.   You can use the downloaded amendment process to see how that affects your return.  

fbmcardl2

We received the federal and state unemployment tax refund but need to file an amended return because the unemployment tax break makes us eligible for the retirement savers credit. Since we filed with TT originally and will amend through TT, how does the amended return in TT calculate the new amended refund due given that we already received the federal and state unemployment refunds? Thanks!

fanfare

TurboTax Online makes this difficult.

It may be easiest to do it manually.

You must have a copy of the original tax return you want to update (or a transcript).

The simplest way is to prepare your correct tax return (using TurboTax for example, or other means) and print it.
Then lay the paper printouts of both returns (correct and original) side-by-side.
You now have all the information needed to prepare Form 1040-X by hand.
It's pretty straight-forward.

The blank form in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at www.irs.gov.
Mail to the same address you would mail your original tax return.

Note : since your original return shows the old refund amount you have to combine your two refunds onto form 1040-X line 18 and do the arithmetic.

fbmcardl2

@fanfare Thanks! Will TT not allow me to combine the two refunds on line 18 of the 1040X? I would much rather e-file than Mail the amended return. 

fanfare

which version are you using Online? or cd/download program ?

fanfare

e-File is nice, but given the backlog at the IRS right now, I don't think it would make much difference.