turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will form 8915-E be update and available for 2021 tax year?

@kmcmillan Great, thank you! I've used Turbo Tax for several years, but you have to be on the ball now a days to keep people. 

@cp666 Same here. I've used TT for 10 years but made the switch this year. I called several times and was told vastly differing information. There's no continuity and one didn't know anything about this specific form and told me if TurboTax didn't prompt me anywhere else then I should go ahead and file. That's was totally WRONG! I would have had a huge mess to clean up if I would have done that. I would have loved to stay with TurboTax but can't understand why other (smaller) companies have their stuff updated but TT is saying they won't until the 3/31. It makes no sense and none of the "experts" can give a reasonable explanation. I hope you find the other company as easy as I did and are as satisfied! Cheers! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So you are a shill as well.  This topic is about when Turbo Tax will integrate IRS Form 8915-F into their software. I dob't necessarily believewhat you are saying, but true or not I don't car how long you have been using Turbo Tax.  I also don't care that you used an alternative service.

Obviously everyone here has paid Intuit, most likely has done all of their taxes except their CARES act repayments reporting.  Your advice to go elsewhere is wasting our time.

You cared enough to write that essay. I was simply answering a question. But thanks for your feedback. It has impacted me greatly. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8915f.pdf

I guess we could print our filing from within TurboTax and then just add this form. Will take some careful form filling skills.   Actually, maybe not. At the end of 8915F it just says put the number back in 4b of the 1040, so that's one edit.  Edit: I tried to override 1040 line 4b (taxable amount) with the number from 8915F and I could not get it to override.  Looks like doing all of 1040 by hand or waiting for Intuit to integrate this issue into the interview.  

Just so you are aware, the 8915-F has been finalized. It is not a draft. You can now use it to file your taxes by mail. TurboTax supposedly will not have it in their program until 03/31. 

Any update from a TurboTax rep? Other companies will have this form (8916-F) in their sites no later than the 16th of February. 

fishman01

Where did the 3/31 date come from? Was it from an Intuit rep?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Great news! The IRS created new Form 8915-F to replace Form 8915-E.  This form will be used for anyone who chose to take a distribution from their retirement and spread the taxable amount over three years.

It was recently (this week) taken out of draft and finalized.  TurboTax has an available date of March 31, 2022.  Continue to check the availability date by using the link provided.

When entering your 1099-R in TurboTax CD/Download, you’ll be asked Was this withdraw due to Covid-19? On the next screen, it should ask you Did you test positive for the coronavirus in 2020? However, some users are reporting they aren’t being asked that second question.

We’re working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, sign up here.

@missyroberts1123

@jmarcipratt

@fishman01

@tonyteshera

@beeker4747

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DianeW777 : The 3/31 release date mentions the CD/desktop version of TurboTax for Windows, but what about TT online?

ljdycus
Returning Member

Wat is this form for

If you took a pension/IRA distribution in 2020 due to covid and choose to spread the taxes on it over 3 tax years evenly then you must use the new form 8915-F to report the 2021 portion.  

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Great news! The IRS created new Form 8915-F to replace Form 8915-E.  This form will be used for anyone who chose to take a distribution from their retirement and spread the taxable amount over three years.

It was recently (this week) taken out of draft and finalized.  TurboTax has an available date of March 31, 2022.  Continue to check the availability date by using the link provided.

When entering your 1099-R in TurboTax CD/Download, you’ll be asked Was this withdraw due to Covid-19? On the next screen, it should ask you Did you test positive for the coronavirus in 2020? However, some users are reporting they aren’t being asked that second question.

We’re working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, sign up here.

@ljdycus

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies